What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 1/2" Flare (or smoke cartridge)

MissingSomething

Has anyone seen a 37mm (1 1/2") Brown smoke before? Are there any other colors? Found this at a gun show last weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4105.jpg
    IMG_4105.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 22
I was given info about it while on my AT course but don't remember ever having seen one. From my course notes: 1.5 inch signal and illuminating cartridges were fired from signal dischargers and Pistol Signal No 4.

You have a Cartridge Signal 1.5 inch brown smoke puff. The Mk 3T had a paper case with a brass cartridge head. The cartridge is stepped where the star extends from the paper case. It contains a 31 Grain gunpowder propelling charge. A gunpowder delay composition gives a 1.5 second delay to ignition of the star. The star igniter is of sulphurless gunpowder. The star contains 1700 Grains of smoke composition.

The Mk 4T differs from the Mk 3T: The cartridge is not stepped. The cartridge head is of guilding metal. The propelling charge is 15 Grains of gunpowder. The delay assembly is different.
Markings: A brown serpentine symbol and `Brown smoke puff' in blue on the top of the cartridge.

There was also a Cartridge Signal 1.5 inch white smoke puff, Mks 3T and 4T, similar to the brown smoke puff. Markings were a white serpentine symbol and a label `White smoke puff' in blue on the top of the cartridge.

Cartridge Illuminating 1.5 inch J Mk 4T had a 5 second delay to ignition and burned for 9.5 to 11.5 seconds. It also had a paper case with a brass cartridge head. The star extended 1.9 inches from the paper case. It had a white paper label on the end, marked `Illum' in blue. The propelling charge was 31 Grains of gunpowder G12. The star was 5 pressings of illuminating composition primed with gunpowder G12.

Cartridges Signal 1.5 inch. Each had a single star. There were three other types in addition to the brown that you have: Green Mk 7T, Red Mk 7T and Yellow Mk 4T. The star container was a light tinplate with 1100 Grain main filling, primed at both ends. Marking consisted of a coloured band around the case and a label on top.

I hope this helps.