What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.5 inch anti riot cartridge l2a2

paul the grenade

hi all.
Im not really a cartridge collector but i picked this up at the weekend out of idle curiosity (and as it was cheap) there is no headstamp or markings on the brass base.
can anyone tell me anything about it?
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• cs cartridge 2.jpg
    cs cartridge 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 52
  • cs cartridge 1.jpg
    cs cartridge 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 88
Just checked my basic AT course notes, written in 1979. They do not say what the irritant was but I assume it was CS. CS, CN etc were classified as chemical ammunition.

Cartridge 1.5 inch anti riot:

L1A1 - limited production.

L2A1 - paper case with a brass cartridge head.
Propelling charge = 25 grains gunpowder (GP) G12.
Ignition charge = 12 grains (GP?).
Delay pellet = 2 grains GP G12.
Irritant pellet = 1.64 ounces.
Time of delay = 3 seconds.
Time of emission = 15 seconds.

L2A2 differs from the L2A1 by having an irritant pellet that weighs 1.88 ounces.

L3A1 differs from the L2 versions:
Outer case & irritant pellet container made of aluminium.
A plastic capsule contains the 35 grain GP propelling charge.
Irritant pellet weight = 3.31 ounces.
Ignition charge = 25 grains (GP?).
Delay = 6 grains GP G12.
The irritant pellet is held in position against the closing plug by a helical spring, to ensure there is clearance for the three
emission holes.

L6A1 differs from the L3A1 by having a propelling charge of 23 grains GP G12.

Practice L4A1 and L5A1
These represent the L3A1 and L6A1 irritant cartridges and are filled with a red smoke composition.

G12 is simply a grade of gunpowder and from memory refers to how fine the particles have been ground.

From the above info it seems that by the time the L4 and L5 Practice versions were introduced the L1 and L2 versions were obsolete.

The later L3 and L6 irritant cartridges would probably have been coloured grey to denote chemical ammunition.

Paper cases were susceptible to ingress of moisture with the result that over time they would swell and their contents become damp, giving problems with chambering, reliability and shelf life.

Last edited:
the red band denotes CS, right (in addition to 'CS' being printed on case)? so these were filled with crystallised CS that would irritate on contact with the skin, or would it give off vapour too?

I don't remember specifically what the red band meant. If indicating the filling it would have been more general, indicating lachrymatory / irritant filling, to cover all such compositions, not just CS. I believe the filling, when burning, issued CS as a very fine particulate. In that state CS on any damp (sweaty) skin surface will give a burning sensation, especially when the pores of the skin are open. That is why if you try to wash off CS you must never use hot water. Better to let it blow off in the breeze. The particulate is very fine, for example it hangs in the air in a CS chamber as a kind of grey smoke for a long period after a CS tablet has been burned. I am not aware that CS is emitted in a vapour form. Police use a more diluted version in liquid suspension in spray cans.
Looking again at the photo of the cartridge I see what you mean about the letters CS. I guess had it been filled with CN you would still see a red band but with the letters `CN' instead of `CS' as on the example shown.

Last edited: