What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.59" Crayford Head Stamp

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
I got this Crayford today but it has an unusual head stamp with no info other than VSM . Anyone got any ideas ? Thanks , Siegfreid.

Attachments

• mvc-477s.jpg
    mvc-477s.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 94
I have 5 Crayfords. three have more marks than a public rest room wall. 2 have just VSM, no intelligent idea why.

I was told the Crayford cases were oftem made from other spent cases. I have no idea since I only have one, but it looks to be a cut down case.

Could possibly be true. I measured 7, 2 pdrs and their average rim diameter was 1.88". The average Crayford was 1.86. Diameter of 2 pdr case at rim average1.73 and Crayford 1.72. Pretty close. I don't lknow what the possible range tolerance was, but considering the time and place, seems reasonable to me that the Crayford was made to the same size as the 2 pdr but shorter.