What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 INCH HEADSTAMPS

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
1 INCH HEADSTAMPS from TIGBRAND

ammo_526.jpg

Top Left. "Ctge. Aiming Rifle 1 inch Electric Mark IV" with Morris primer, made by Morris Patent Tube Co. This differed from the Kings Norton electric primer also used in the Mark IV.Introduced 1897.

Top right. "Ctge. Aiming Rifle 1 inch Percussion Mark III", introduced 1935. Converted from Mark I case.

Bottom left. "Ctge, Aiming Rifle 1 inch Mark I" made by Eley Bros. Introduced 1897.Black powder loaded.

Bottom right. "Ctge. Aiming Rifle 1 inch Cordite Mark I", made by Eley Bros. and approved 1913.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks Tony, I never realised they were in use as late as 1935. I always thought they were pre WW1.

Here are a couple more if they are of any interest, it would appear that the case marked b c has been reloaded once.
head_stamp01.jpg

These are 1 Inch Aiming Rifle Percussion Cordite Lead Bullet Mark II. The Mark I version of this round had a screw-in primer, but the Mark II was simplified by utilising a .455 revolver case pressed in to act as the primer. The headstamp on the primer in the picture of E C II applies to the .455 case (Eley Cordite Mark II)

The right hand one has been reloaded as stated, and was probably converted form a Mark I to a Mark II case at that time. It was manufactured by Birmingham Metals and Munitions Co.

The left hand headstamp is interesting as I am unsure what the DF stamp means. DF was used as a code by Dum Dum arsenal in India on early SAA, but if that was the case I would expect to see it as D(arrow)F rather than in a rectangle.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for the identification Tony E,The case top right has been a mystery for a long time.By the way Weasel if you want to swap your cases please let me know Regards Tony.

Hi Tigbrand, sounds ok to me as there not really my thing, i will pm you.
Weasel