What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 pounder for ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I found this one pounder a couple of weeks ago and would appreciate if anyone could positively ID it. It came in a short Austro-Hungarian trench gun case, but with the crown stamped on the base I'm leaning towards one of the Scandinavian countries. I'm guessing that the wooden plug is original but what purpose the projectile? All thoughts appreciated.

D

Attachments

• 51pr1.jpg
    51pr1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 75
  • 51pr2.jpg
    51pr2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 51pr3.jpg
    51pr3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 65
Well

I have only seen that lower band style on I believe Italian projectiles, and possibly of Austrian manufacture. I think there was a discussion on those a while back and it was fairly well sorted out ( I don't quite remeber the exact outcome). The crown on the base should identify the end user. Can you tell me if the wooden plug also fits into the "converted" Hotchkiss projectile with the British style double bands on it. It also had an unthreaded opening.

either origin if used in the country of manufacture

or purchasing country, in this case I think purchaser. Some body should have a matching mark on something, I'm sure I have seen this before - Swedish ?