What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 Pr markings British

Gspragge

Premium Member
I would be interested in hearing about other marks and examples of example A

This image may work better if you put it on your screen and enlarge it somewhat.

Attachments

• 1Pr PD Markings.jpg
    1Pr PD Markings.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 92
Hi Gspragge,

Do you have a clearer image for the (B) Maxium /Nordenfelt monogram?
Is is also stamped on the body ~ mid-point?
Any stamps on the top?
(Yes I have "enlarge it' - just more "fussy"! :tinysmile_cry_t:)
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Try these images

The fuze is also marked with the same monogram, in the same way that VSM fuzes are marked. This mark is on other products of the period. After Nordenfelt's partnership with Maxim was dissolved he went to Belgium and I think the products made there have just a plain N on them.But others will know more on that. The Maxim Nordenfelt name was still marked on Maxim guns made in 1897 so the monogram was likely used for a time also after the company name changed.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 22
Hi,

Thanks for the clearer pics -so it looks like the Maxim/Nordenfelt's mongram is more of an "M" than a "N" (or is the Max/Nord one a "M" with an "N" over the top???)

I'll post some pics of the projectile I have - it has not been fired but "knocked" around (missing one of the driving bands etc) and scratch marks all over it! (I suppose I should not store it in the tool box!) [Only joking!]

The base monogram is a little hard to view even with a spy glass - I'll test my photographic skills and see it I can get a decent shot to post.
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

OK, here are the pics of mine one....

Seems that the base has definitely a "N", but the body stamp looks like a upside down "M".

In addition the fuse plug stamp also looks like a "M" in a square (or perhaps a Crown?)

I look forward to your thoughts!
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3487.jpg
    DSCN3487.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3488.jpg
    DSCN3488.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3489.jpg