What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,5cm F.H.Gr.40

APFSDST

This is a fired German 10,5cm F.H.Gr.40 projectile. But wich type?
What is the difference between the smoke (nebel or deut) and the chemical gas filled shell?
Maybe have somebody cutaway model/diagram of the different types?

Hello

As I know, you're right : 3 kinds of 10.5cm F.H.Gr 40 :
10.5cm F.H.Gr 40 blauring 3
10.5cm F.H.Gr 40 Deut
10.5cm F.H.Gr 40 Nebel

I found no external difference for each of them (except weight, depending of the filling).

I would say this is a Deut-shell. I had in the past a 7,5 cm Deut Blau shell and it had a loose base exactly like this. The smoke color charge is ejected from base. Smoke shells usually explode more or less totally. Chemical shells I don't have experience about.

10,5cm FH Gr
10,5cm FH Gr38 Stg (cast instead of forged steel--usual loading was 60/40 Amatol)
10,5cm FH Gr38 (standard HE shell with either copper or sintered iron driving bands)
10,5cm FH Gr40
10,5cm FH Sprgr Br (incendiary with TNT/incendiary composition filler)
10,5cm FH Gr Nb (bursting smoke filled with oluem/pumice mixture
FH Gr 38 Nb (improved bursting smoke with larger payload)
FH Gr 40 Nb (time fuzed base-ejection smoke carrier shell)
FH Gr 40 Deut (time fuzed base ejection coloured smoke shell making blue smoke)
10 cm Weissrot (propaganda leaflet carrier shell)
FH Gr39 Grnring (time fuzed bursting gas shell with TNT/cyclonite/Tabun nerve gas)
FH Gr40 Blauring (time fuzed base ejection shell with DM gas generator cannister)
FH Gr40 Weissring (bursting gas shell filled with lachrmatory powder and bursting charge)
10,5cm Leuchtgeschoss (time fuzed base ejection illuminating or star shell with parachute flare)

This piece found in Hungary (chemical excluded). If the smoke projectile much different exploding, so I think this is really "Deut" projectile.

Here some drawings from German WW2 manual.
-40 Deut is very similar to the actual shell
-38 Nb is totally sealed with bursting charge in middle and filling plug for smoke compound ( liquid ? ) on left side middle.
-40 Nb seems to be quite similar to Deut with ejecting charge. I believe the charge is not liquid but burning dry stuff.

Attachments

• Deut.jpg
    Deut.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 38 Nb.jpg
    38 Nb.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 40 Nb.jpg
    40 Nb.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 73