What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 years, some regrets

I remember, for the sake of argument, let's say about 10 years back there were some really rare grenades for sale on e-bay for let's say about 200.00us. At the time I recall thinking I would not pay that for a grenade, don't care how scarce it is. Well here it is 10 years later and these same grenades are bringing 400-500us and more. The investment value sure beats the 1% your basic savings account would accrue. My point. Grenades are like any oother antique. Take a common bottle that would bring 5.oo us 10 years ago is still worth 5.00us, but the rarer 50.00 bottle of the time now brings 300.00. If in it for investment buy the best you can afford and watch it appreciate in value. I am getting some rarer stuff noe (what the budget ill allow, and I think they will go nowhere but up. My kids will have a hell of a time selling it off piecemill and raking in the dough. My point, just rattling and rambling, but may they be able to live in confort if in some part to them opieceig out my collection. In the meantime I will just enjoy collrecting them. Dano

Good return

Not a load of old tosh at all Dano as what you say is correct.
I spent thousands over the years on my collection and when sold some (cough cough) 30 plus years later (30, I wish!) it has realised about a tenfold increase in value-now that is a good return in anyones language.

The only thing we have to be wary of over here is that you pick the stuff that stays legal so it CAN be sold.
A fair few items of mine just had to go in the junk box as they were not saleable due to changes in the law which is a pity as some of those items were really nice.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Nice comments Chris. Hang on to that stuff because law is always subject to change without notice. I think most dealers think illegal is a sick bird...Dano

But try convincing the wife "Honey, I know it's $300, but just think of it as an investment"

10 years

Not ten years, more like forty, but here is an example of your point.

A decent British No.4T sniper rifle in its transit chest with scope and accessories will set one back about 3,500 to 4,000 today. I recently found an old invoice from 1970 when I was an RFD (registered dealer) from Interarms for No.4T rilfes at a cost of 16, 13s 4d each. That's a return of over 14% p.a!

That is better than UK house appreciation over the same period.

Regards
TonyE

Hi again Dano,
Good to hear you talk about investment by collecting. As my collection, (hopefully), improves as I learn more and can be more selective about what I buy, I'm hoping that this will be a little bonus for my children when I'm pushing up the daisys. I'm sure it's better than the unsteady financial sector, not that I have the money or interest to get involved with that!
I get pleasure from learning and collecting every day. I can't imagine getting pleasure from looking at my bank account once a month as my savings slowly lose their value.
All best,
navyman.

Ha Dano
Good point,back in the early 80,s i bought some ordance items for $40.00 ea,and when I got sick in the mid 90,s,and needed the money:tinysmile_cry_t4::tinysmile_cry_t4::tinysmile_cry_t4:, I got $250 apiece for ever item I spent $40.00 ea on.
I would like to add,if your children don,t collect,and the wife dosn,t think to have a good and fair friend sell them for her,they might not get as good as return as posable.
Vinny