What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm british 1WW?

P3zi59

One friend of mine has found in Italy, in the zone of fights of the first world war, this Projectile.
This projectile are totally inert and preserve some color and letters in white....seem me to read the word SHELL.
In this area fight also the british amry,
The caliber are 105 mm.

Now the projectile are in Ossalic acid for remove the rust.

I help for identifying him.

Sorry for my english.

Paolo

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 50
Your English is good enough for us to understand. The british as far as I am aware did not use 105mm guns certainly they are not listed. The 4 in is 100mm nominaly but it was only a naval calibre and your shell is open at both ends.
My guess is it is not British but hopefully someone here will identify it for you.

It looks like a U.S. 105 howitzer Illuminating projectile, original older WWII up through the 60's paint job, Gray with white band. It isn't the base ejection smoke or leaflet projectile because the base would be boat-tail shape on those. This shape would be the Illum or CS-Gas. Most likely, the top line of text will be "ILLUMINATING", second line "105H"

Last edited:
Thanks 2pounder and HAZORD.
In effect i have found this picture in to th web:

105mm rounds 2.jpg

and the american 105 Howitzer it was in service in the Italian army of the postwar period.
Probably shot during an exercise.

Grazie
Paolo