What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105MM HEAT Maybe?

Slick

So, finally getting around to seeing what was in the lot of big shells. For the most part, the big stuff is alien to me and I have few references to help ID the assorted specimens, some of which are lacking in markings. Like this one. Internet searches resulted in no joy. From info gathered, this is apparently a tank gun projectile, although I suppose artillery aimed for direct fire might make use of it. I may remove the set screws and see what's under the windscreen. From the arse end, which is missing the BD fuze (maybe fin set?!?!?!?), there appears to be the apex of a cone. Was lacking good lighting, so won't say definitely yes on the cone thing.
Would appreciate any info, direction to info and even pics, to help clarify this thing. It's a cool bullet.

IMG_0289 (1280x337).jpg IMG_0290 (1280x913).jpg IMG_0292 (1215x1280).jpg

And here's the shell it was stuck in. Probably not right.

IMG_0293 (478x1280).jpgIMG_0295 (1280x1240).jpg

And here's what the ass-end of Hurricane Isaac looks like. Brought about 2" of rain. Still windy.

IMG_0286 (1280x960).jpg

UPDATE: Thanks to Lou, I have narrowed this down to it being an M67 and what case it should be stuck in and that it is an artillery round, not tank..

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Rick,

Your projectile is for the 105mm Howitzer, for direct fire against hard targets. These older technology HEAT projos were very ineffective, due to the high rpm of the projectile causing most of the blast to go out the sides instead of forward against the target because of the cetrifugal force of the rotation.

What is the M number on the 105mm tank case you have shown?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Here's what I got on the M67. Extract from TM 9-1300-203. The only drawing I found in a more recent pub. was about an M67 TP-T. ??? not getting it my self... Look alike the HEAT exept for inert filling, inert fuze with tracer.

Cheers.

Luc.

TM 9-1300-203, p.74.jpgTM 9-1300-203, p.75.jpgTM 43-0001-28, p.3-23.jpgTM 43-0001-28, p.3-24.jpg

So, here it is in a proper shell. An M14. At least, that's what the references say is correct, although this one is suspect as the crimp(s) should be what I call stab crimps vs a full, all around kind, AND, I believe it's dated too early. Still digging in the pile, so may come up with the right one before I'm finished.

IMG_0342 (1280x316).jpgIMG_0343 (1280x1251).jpg

John, in answer to your earlier question, the tall (incorrect) case is an M150B1. IMG_0353 (1280x960).jpg I had to "fix" this pic as the stampings are so light, it was hard to read without puttin' the blue haze to it.

Last edited:
Yeah, that M150B1 steel case is used in the M68 105mm main gun that is on the US M60 series of tanks, the early M1 tank, and I believe is currently used on the current Stryker vehicles. This was one of three models of 105mm cases, and having the long primer tube, was used for the HEP and WP type of rounds, i.e. projectiles that don't have tails or fins that stick down into the case. From what I understand, the M393A1 was a M392A2 HEP that was converted to a TP-T round by removal of the Comp A-3. Other sources show the M393A1 as being an actual HEP round, I don't know? Seeing 1976 stamped into the case, and seeing it marked TP-T, I suspect that it is the converted round. I never saw these rounds from my time in the service (1984 on), we only had TPDS, HEAT and APFSDS rounds, so I suspect that they were all used up by then. I have an M150B1 case with a 1966 date.

Rick,

As Jrpett has said, the M150B1 cases were used on the HEP-T, WP-T, and the M467 TP-T rounds. Yours is marked for the HEP-T projo. Your case was made by Norris Industries in Vernon California (East LA). I worked at that factory in the late 80's.

You won't find crimp marks/stake marks on a case for your projectile. TM 43-0001-28 states that it is a free fit in the cartridge case. In addition, there is no crimping groove machined into the projectile. The newer design Spike-nosed HEAT-T projectile M662 is crimped in its case, and the rounds for the 105 Howitzer mounted in the C130 Spectre Gunship are crimped since the gun points below the horizontal.

John

There's this rendition. Looks as though there was some variety in the crimp rule.

M67 HEAT.jpg

Rick,

Even though the artist's rendering shows the marks, the drawing also states "Semifixed", which means no crimp, so the drawing disagrees with itself. I have attached the WWII datasheets from TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammunition manual that Bonnex so expertly scanned.

Attachments

• M67 HEAT Data.jpg
    M67 HEAT Data.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 19
  • M67 HEAT Data 2.jpg
    M67 HEAT Data 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13
John

Thanks.

I also found a reference that it is an M14 Type II shell vs the Type I that I have it stuck in now.

Rick

The Type II case I have has no crimp marks. I think they stopped crimping these cases but used the stock. After that the Type I was used for the HEAT round .
739 M14 Type II a.jpg105mm M14 cases.jpg