What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Leopard round

Spaceinvader

Hello!
Im looking for a photo (or photos) of a modern, Leopard 1, 105mm round. Ive found some photos but no way to know if they are correct or the right round at all. Im looking for any type of round, APDS, HE, Smoke, anything. Thanks!

I believe that this was the NATO standard round for the L7 gun which first emerged in the Centurion in the mid-1950s, and was subsequently adopted by the USA and many other armies; the ammunition was made in many different countries as a result. See the 105 x 607-617R round listed on my ammo data tables here: http://quarryhs.co.uk/ammotable11.htm

Thanks Tony, I didnt know they used APFSDS in those. I only knew of HEAT, HESH, HE, APDS and another I cant remember right now. Anyways thanks so much! I just got a nice case, but no projectile!

I think that the APFSDS came along relatively late in the gun's MBT life, to try to keep it competitive for as long as possible.