What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm T8 exp AT

charley777

105mmEXP%20(9).jpg105mmEXP%20(3).jpg105mmEXP%20(6).jpg105xc580Rxc157.jpg105mmEXP%20(2).jpg105mmEXP%20(0).jpgGreetings to all.
This great round has come up for auction on Gunbroker (no international sales).
The case is T4E1. As can be seen in the comparitive photo with a standard 105x617R case, it is shorter (about 580mm) and wider at the base (about 157mm).
Can anyone provide the actual measurements?
And more info about the experimental T8 AT gun?
Thanks very much
Charley

Charley,

If I were you, I would contact the seller, and ask him what stampings are on the projectile, because it looks like a 105 Howitzer projectile, which most likely would not have been fired in an antitank gun. US projectiles usually have ID stamped in the projo body above the rotating band. I'm thinking this info has been left out of the description on GB.

Thanks Hazord,
Yes it certainly looks like a howitzer projectile...i will ask questions.
Not that i can buy it, being "foreign-based" LOL
Great case though

Charley, From the guys description of the round on GB, he says that it is hollow and could be a dispenser round. Taking a good look at the pix he provided, you can see a slight white band right above the rotating band. That and the general shape indicate that it is, as HAZORD states, a 105mm Howitzer round, specifically an Illum round. The fuze is a modern M739 with out the wind/rain cap. Told the seller this info. Don't know if the casing, despite the history, is up to the price with all of the visible cracks around the throat. This seller and a couple of others on GB have some, shall we say, champagne prices, and me on a beer budget. Cheers, Bruce.

Thanks bacarnal
Yes at that price i'm nowhere near tempted!

Does anyone have the actual measurements of this case?
And drawings/images of projectiles used....
Charley

the fuze when it came out in the late 1970's it was a XM model never a T. The US stopped using the T designation back in the 1960's. the round is for a 105mm Howitzer not for the US ANTI Tank gun. I would ask for the nomenclature of the projectile