What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm TPDS-T Manufacturer ?

orpheus72

Premium Member
I've got this CTRG 105G TPDS-T today.

The head has following markings:
105G
CTRG TPDS-T M724A1

FLP89 E015-006 105 mm M737

It came with a shell 105 x 617 with markings

105x617 DM6
LOS DN 1-28

Can anyone confirm that this shell and head belong together?
I tought the head was American manufactured and the shell Casing was German?

The Primer is missing from the shell-case, but i think it has to be an M80A1 electrical primer. If someone has one in spare, please let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 100_3006.jpg
    100_3006.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_3007.jpg
    100_3007.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_3008.jpg
    100_3008.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 31
  • tpds.jpg
    tpds.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hey Orph

Sadly, I don't have a spare primer for you, but here is an example that might clarify one of your questions. At least for the U.S. version of this round.

Rick

Attachments

• ordhut 099 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 099 (Small).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 37
  • ordhut 097 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 097 (Small).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 28
  • ordhut 098 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 098 (Small).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 40
  • ordhut 100 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 100 (Small).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 30
  • ordhut 101 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 101 (Small).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 32
Geert

I did find this in the collection. It closely mimics the dimensions of the M80A1. Just has a bit longer shank ahead of the threads.

Base OD 36.63mm
Thread OD 31.32

It is internally threaded for the primer tube. Maybe you can craft a suitable example. Holler if you want it.

Rick

Attachments

• ordhut 102 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 102 (Small).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 12
  • ordhut 103 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 103 (Small).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
Geert

I did find this in the collection. It closely mimics the dimensions of the M80A1. Just has a bit longer shank ahead of the threads.

Base OD 36.63mm
Thread OD 31.32

It is internally threaded for the primer tube. Maybe you can craft a suitable example. Holler if you want it.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

It indeed has similar looks like the M80A1. Sure i want it to plug the hole in the shell. Hope to find a correct one with primer tube in the future.

Do you have any idea if my projectile (manufacturer FLP ) is American made? I can't find this Mfr code on any of my lists.

Geert.

Geert

I'll get it headed your way. I have no clue on the FLP code. Bettin' somebody here will have an answer to that in short order.

Rick

German and American

I think the case is German in origen and the Projectile is American manufactured.
Nice item.

Slick,

Some information about your cartridge case. It was made by Norris Industries in Vernon California. Norris also used NOR as a Manufacturer's code. Your case (M148A1B1) is the proper case for the HEAT rounds and the Dart APFSDS-T and TPFSDS-T projos. The proper case for your TPDS projo would be the M115 (Brass) or M115B1 (Steel). The third model of 105G case is the M150 or M150B1 for the WP-T and HEP-T, and Flechette projos.

Slick,

You are most welcome. I worked for Norris back in the late 80's as a Machine Tool Engineer. One of the most rewarding and educational jobs I have ever had. KT Norris perfected the process of ironing steel to make the steel cartridge cases for artillery during WWII. They made all types of projectiles, rocket motor cases and cartridge cases over the years and other munitions related forgings, such as the bodies for M42 grenade submunitions and GB nerve gas submunitions.

The main noticeable difference in the 105G cartridge cases is the primer. The primers had to be shorter for the darts and HEAT projos due to the depth of the projo intrusion into the case. The M115 primers have a screw in plug in the top end, so they don't burn the bottom of the projos, whereas the M148A1 and M150 primers are open on the end.

Last edited: