What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm TPDS-T

Spaceinvader

Just picked up a nice 105mm TPDS-T projectile today from a local militaria show. Its in nice condition except for some rust in the tracer area.
One problem!
It has been painted black like a combat APDS, and the paint is pretty rough. Can see some of the blue paint through the black, and the markings of course say TPDS.

Does anyone know if these projectiles can be taken apart? From what I can find the aluminum base should un-screw, then the core would come out through the bottom but no such luck. Hopefully someone can help! Thanks!
Rhys

Nice find.
Assuming its like the British one it unscrews, left hand thread.
Dave.

I believe it is a US one, but I would guess the left-hand threads is still true.

Pretty happy with it, it now completes my first tank round!

Stick the whole projectile in the freezer and let it get completely frozen. Then take it out and lower the threaded part into some boiling water. Once it is hot, see if it unscrews. If not, temperature cycle it one more time and try to unscrew again. If it doesn't unscrew, freeze it again, and this time use an industrial strength heat gun, blowing hot air on the threaded part till it's good and hot, but not too hot to blister the paint.

Sounds like a painted 105mm M737 TPDS. If so these were the first TP round to match the trajectory of the tactical M735 APFSDS?

Cool score!

HAZORD, thank you so much for that great technique for tuff threads! Def going try that!

Jason

Thanks for the tip Hazord, I might not go as far as the heat gun though as the lower drive band has seen better days. I cant tell what its made of, almost seems like super dense cardboard?

And I believe it is Jason, I only see the markings "105. G TPDS" through the paint currently. I will see if once I strip it (if I do) any other markings come out.

I had forgotten about the plastic rotating band. We use heat guns for deactivating red Loctite.

Tried both of your tips Hazord, neither worked :tinysmile_cry_t4: The drive band seems to be made of dense cardboard and did not like the water. Tried the heat gun too and got the metal very hot (couldnt touch it) but it will not budge. Looks like I will either be leaving it as-is, or stripping the paint off by hand.

Jason, I was looking at pics of the M737 and I dont believe it is one. Looks very similar but not quite. I will post some pics of it soon.