What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12,7 x 81 SR Breda

Eniac

Hi, this cartridge was purchased from England, in Italy is the first time we see her, I was told that the previous owner still has 2 or 3 pieces, someone already knew? Some fellow collectors think it is a fake, I do not think so but I need confirmation.Inbox.jpg

Eniac,

From IAA Forum: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7248&hilit=BREDA

Quoting former IAA Forum member "Schneider", now deceased-

"12,7 Breda HEI rounds from the Spanish civil war 1936-39
These are 12,7 x 80SR Breda HEI rounds from the spanish civil war. They were used in airplane machine guns.

The yellow one is (BPD 37 S) and the red one is (BPD 39 S), the S indicating the explosive nature of the projectile (Scoppiante = Explosive).

Cases with this headstamp style were reloaded with ball bullets in Spain after the war, and probably during the war also. The "S" was sometimes confused with "Sevilla"."

The pictures that were in Schneider's post are now missing. But I have these pictures in my archive file and one picture shows the headstamps to be the same as the headstamp on your cartridge, except the two digit dates are different (37 and 39) than on the headstamp on your cartridge (40). The cartridge heads are NOT painted red on the cartridges shown by Schneider, the colors yellow and red that Schneider refers to is the color of the projectile body.

Brian

Last edited: