What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.7x108 identification of origin

dhooghe

Hi,
I'm new to the Forum and consequently my question may havebeen previously addressed.......my apologies if that is the case.
I have a brass cartridge case (12.7x108) that has the following head stamp: I K (12 o’clock position) and 12.7x108 (6 o’clock position).
I have scanned the case and the JPG image is appended. The other markings (under a magnifying glass) appear to be stains on the brass.

The case appears to have had rough treatment with longitudinal score marks on the brass.

Any assistance, with the country of origin, or additional background, would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• cartridge case003a.jpg
    cartridge case003a.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
on 50 BMG rounds IK is igman zavod from Yugoslavia so probably the same for this round

Yes they produced Military and Sporting cartridges since the early 50's, "IK" was used from 1950 until 1991 by Igman Zavod, Yugoslavia and 1991 to 2003 production in Bosnia by Igman Konjic But after 1992 "I in a shield" was the main headstamp used. Other headstamps include "EIGN", "Backwards N regular K" and "OL-PP"

cheers

Rich

Many thanks to Slick, kiwieod and peashooter for your prompt replies and insight.
I have obtained a steel link from the owner of the belt that contains approximately 20 spent cases, with the same head stamp as shown.
I have scanned the steel link and appended two JPG's, just in case it might be pertinent.
Many thanks again.

Dhooghe

Attachments

• cartridge case005-001.jpg
    cartridge case005-001.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 27
  • cartridge case006-001.jpg
    cartridge case006-001.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yes they produced Military and Sporting cartridges since the early 50's, "IK" was used from 1950 until 1991 by Igman Zavod, Yugoslavia and 1991 to 2003 production in Bosnia by Igman Konjic But after 1992 "I in a shield" was the main headstamp used. Other headstamps include "EIGN", "Backwards N regular K" and "OL-PP"

cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,
I don't know your source for the 'timeline' for these headstamps but neither of these 'fit' in it

Cheers
Tony

PB190003.jpgPB190002.jpg

I put the Backwards N & K as a headstamp used I didnt say a timeline for that and I also didnt say that after 2003 "IK" wasnt used it says the MAIN headstamp after 1992 was "I in a shield" many others including individual headstamps specific to the customer were used.

The info comes from a very reputable headstamp database, and as I am sure you have found cartridges pop up with dates that are not suppossed to exsist. I have found dates that the Late Tony Edwards could explain on .303's.

According to the database the headstaml backwards N & K was used from 1957 - 1987 so you have a case with the first year of usung this headstamp

Rich

Last edited:
Rich,
you actually did state that IK was used from 1950-2003 with no mention of NK,and other headstamps, being used at the same time until after 1992 in your original post...hence my query so thank you for the extra information.

Tony