What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 pdr Projo

MissingSomething

OK, artillery stuff is not my forte....

Any help with this Canadian made 12 Pounder Breach loaded Mark VII round?

Who is maker FS?
What type of fuze is on it? (I am thinking air burst?)
Numbers around the dial 0-44. And a broad arrow.

Also on the fuse. 1/08 I 4 P

P1000956[1].jpgP1000957[1].jpgP1000961[1].jpgP1000958.jpg

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig,

"FS" is not a maker but stands for "Forged Steel"

The fuse is a British No63 T&P - double band time rings giving a time delay up to 44 secs and had the unique spring tension nut on top.

Cheers
Drew

G-Day Missing Something,

Your 12pr Breach Loading Mk VII (7), shrapnel projectile is made of Forged Steel (FS) by D^C, some other Canadian collectors will know this maker.

The fuse is a time fuse which could be used for air burst, it was made in January 1908. There should be a number stamped into the top cap, eg: No.63, this will tell us what number fuse it was.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards Ozzi.

Howdy Ozzi,

Yeah, great minds think alike!!!! (LOL)
How are you mate?
Hope the collecting is going great!

Hi Craig,
Here's the diagram of the No 63 from the Treaty of Ammunition 1915 as I'm too tired (& lazy) tonite to photograph my No63.

As Ozzi stated, the "No 63" should be stamped on the top nut, but interesting enough, I have two examples of the No 63 - one dated 11/04 - without the No stamped on the tension nut; and a second dated 12/04 with the "No 63" stamped on the tension nut - both made by Royal Laboratories (R^L)........................

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• pg316 Fuze Time & Percussion No63 MKIC Metal.jpg
    pg316 Fuze Time & Percussion No63 MKIC Metal.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi Craig,

Your shell was made by Dominion Arsenal, Quebec (D^C). The fuze has the nice COW monogram of Coventry Ordnance Works.

Roger.

These 12 Prs stayed in service quite awhile and had an odd spade device under the trail that dug in and pulled the gun back into position after firing, the barrel had no recoil system, the whole gun moved back and forth.