What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Pr 12 Cwt H.E. found today !

Gspragge

Premium Member
Made into the usual lamp, but with minimal damage all things considering. I have never seen one of these
around here before, just a few solid practice types. What (impossible to find) fuze does this use. Just some
old varnish and glue to remove.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0001 2.jpg
    IMG_0001 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 90
Does any one know what fuze this uses ?????

The brass fuze adapter is marked No 2 MK lll also dated 1944.

The number 22906 on the projectile may also indicate a particular fuze drawing.

Last edited:
The 12pdr QF HE shell in the First World War used the No 44 nose percussion fuze. When used as a coast defence gun in World War 2 the HE MK5 is also noted as using a No 44 or 45 fuze. The projectile you have appears to be a practise round, P on the base stamping. Very nice find.

Does any one know what fuze this uses ?????

The brass fuze adapter is marked No 2 MK lll also dated 1944.

The number 22906 on the projectile may also indicate a particular fuze drawing.

Gordon,

Sorry I am late coming to this and I hope I dont cut across anything said by others. A decode of the base markings:

P = Practice
N= Naval
B= 4 calibre radius head
LA= Lindsay Arsenal

Practice shells were sometimes made from what was essentially an HE design (22906 is probably a Royal Laboratory design since DD(L) drawings stop about 21500) and was used particularly for High Angle Practice. The absence of a base plate would probably confirm this.