What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm APDS cutaway

SG500

Premium Member
This one shows the inside of a 120mm APDS.

Dave.

Attachments

• 24 April 09 002.JPG
    24 April 09 002.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 127
Yes thanks Spotter.

Anyone out there know how much these things cost to produce? Fantastic piece of engineering.

Dave.

Dave,

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing your 120mm stuff. Especially the Conquerer rounds with the "threaded" case mouth. The case looks to be the same shape as the WWII U.S. Antiaircraft case, which later became the case for the Marine Corps M103 Tank. The U.S. used mouth plugs without threading though.

I also saw your Jagerfaust projo on your profile. I have one, but mine isn't painted.

John

Dave,

I went to the Conquerer info you listed. It said the M103 tank gun was the same. I have attached data sheets for the AP-T and HEAT projos and cases for the M103. The case for the HEAT is shorter, due to the greater length of the HEAT Projo.

John

Attachments

• AP-T.jpg
    AP-T.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 31
  • HEAT.jpg
    HEAT.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 35
Thanks John. There's a really good article on the Jagerfaust on the following link. Have you got the barrel that goes with it?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/weapons01.htm

Attached also a photo of the top of the Conqueror case with the bakelite plug in it - hence the screw thread (its been emptied through the base - primer taken out.

Dave.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/weapons01.htm

Dave,

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing your 120mm stuff. Especially the Conquerer rounds with the "threaded" case mouth. The case looks to be the same shape as the WWII U.S. Antiaircraft case, which later became the case for the Marine Corps M103 Tank. The U.S. used mouth plugs without threading though.

I also saw your Jagerfaust projo on your profile. I have one, but mine isn't painted.

John

Attachments

• 24 April 09 016.JPG
    24 April 09 016.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 28
Dave,

Thanks for the photo of the top of the Conquerer case, and the pointer to the Komet weapons. I don't have the barrel for my Jagerfaust. I did have the drawings and data that were on the site. The info came with the projo when I got it last Fall.

John

They must go off with a very big bang then.
I think it was one of the guys on this forum who did the cutting of the rounds shown on the Komet web site (Pzgr40) - they're very well done.
Dave.

I checked mine tonight. It is fired, pitted all around with no paint. It is filled with tar, has a fuze sitting in the nose, but no threads on the projo.

I checked mine tonight. It is fired, pitted all around with no paint. It is filled with tar, has a fuze sitting in the nose, but no threads on the projo.

Hi John, how do you know your SG500 is fired? The projectiles are pre rifled and loaded into the barrel from the front end- can't be loaded from the back end because the barrel doesn't open there. There won't be threads in the nose, mine doesn't either, I assume they were friction fit/crimped in.

Dave.

Dave,

I assumed it was fired, as it was rifled, and the base was slightly enlarged as if the powder charge had swaged it out into the rifling of the barrel. I will give it a closer look. Thanks for the info.

John