What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm EMRCS Projectile

EODGUY

120mm.jpg120mm markings.jpg

Does anyone have any information on this test projectile? The markings are hard to read on the shiny unpainted surface, but they are "CRTG 120MM EMRCS, ATW96F151-001, 28136679-126, SN175". I do not have any data on it. Obviously an expensive test round if it was serial numbered. Interesting also that the tail assembly rotates freely on something similar to a ball bearing trace. The ogive is plastic indicating some type of a sensing fuze.

Bob

Hi Bob,

This is what I was able to dig on your round. Very nice by the way. It might seem to be an Electro-Mechanical Roll Control System. (EMRCS). And there is not much info about it!!
http://www.google.com/patents/EP0675335A2?cl=en

Could it be possible that the projectile became the STAFF round?? (Smart Target-Activated Fired and Forget) The one HAZORD is showing above...

XM943, p1.jpgXM943, p2.jpgInfo from Jane's.

Hope it's help a bit.

Cheers.

Luc.

Last edited:
The EMRCS was most likely the first step in developing the STAFF. They needed a projectile that could have its rotation controlled. Once they had proof of concept for the control of rotation, then they could work on the downward firing warhead, and electronics for the seeker in the nose.

You will notice that the Patent holder (Alliant) is the same company that produces STAFF.

Last edited:
I kept trying to remember where I saw this round, but nothing but a blank until HAZORD brought up Alliant (now ATK) they have (had) a nice Proving grounds north of Minneapolis - almost a mini APG. The area had all kinds of test ranges for all their product testing, but so many houses kept being built around the area they had to close down most of it. They were one of my clients and in 2001 I got a small range clearance job from them at the site. Was a great job since I didn't have to deal with our Corp of Engineers or the EPA. Since the palce was full of experimental never seen stuff, the plan was simple BIP the unknown and move the known to a general demo area if safe to do so. I spent way too much time tryng to figure out what this or that was, this 120mm round and a couple othere were there. The techs on site are now the one that are building the current 120 tank ammo at the Iowa AAP. I have a load of pics from that site some where, need to go through old boxes again.