What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm HE M73 "Stratoflak" AAA round...

shelldude

Hello John,

The M73 "Stratoflak" is one of my favorite inert paperweights. It was a VERY impressive gun!

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 146
Randall,

I have always loved it too! Back in about 1984, I went on vacation in Yuma Arizona, home of the Yuma Proving Ground, where they test all types of munitions. I found some interesting stuff in the scrap yard in town, and in front of the yard was a 120 AAA gun. I've been kicking myself for not buying it. The next time I visited Yuma, it was gone.

Nice to see that you have one, especially since you also have the 105mm AAA.

John,

The only example I've seen is at Aberdeen. It could not have been a lot of fun, on that small catwalk shoving separate loading components into the breech of that beast.

Take care,

Randall

Attachments

• id_aaa_120mm_500.jpg
    id_aaa_120mm_500.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 120 crew.jpg
    120 crew.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 120 hawaii.jpg
    120 hawaii.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 56
Hello John,

The M73 "Stratoflak" is one of my favorite inert paperweights. It was a VERY impressive gun!

Best regards,

Randall

Nice shells Randall. What's the huge black shell case to the right of the photograph, it makes the 120mm ones look small!
Dave.

Hello Dave,

That's the largest brass shell casing the U.S ever produced. It was used in the 8"/55 rapid-fire guns of the Salem class heavy cruisers. The inert green & yellow HC projectile next to the casing is what was fired. It was a very efficient design and the rate of fire was phenomenal!

Best regards,

Randall

Hello Dave,

That's the largest brass shell casing the U.S ever produced. It was used in the 8"/55 rapid-fire guns of the Salem class heavy cruisers. The inert green & yellow HC projectile next to the casing is what was fired. It was a very efficient design and the rate of fire was phenomenal!

Best regards,

Randall

NICE!!
Thanks again.
Dave.

Hey Randall, thanks for showing the view from around the corner. Hey, what is the 5 inch round with the tall case, between the 6 inch 47 and the 120mm tank rounds?

Hello John,

I was wondering how long it would take for you to inquire about that one.
It's a U.S. Naval 5"/40 brass casing manufactured by UMC Co. dated June of 1898. The 5" HC has a 45 second Model 1907 combination time & percussion fuze. I've been searching for a proper 5-inch common projectile for quite a while to match it with. Any extras?

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 38
Sorry Randall, I only have the one projo. By the way, I'm pretty sure the 5 inch 40 is a fixed round. They didn't use a mouth plug.

Hi John,

I think "NAVWEAPS" lists the 5"/40 as separate but I'll check to be sure. I display all my larger shells in two parts since they are so top heavy when assembled.

Take care,

Randall

Since we are on the subject, I dug out The Book, and scanned The Photo. Taken from a 1939 textbook from the U.S. Naval Academy. This one photo shows the super rare and ultra rare of the old U.S. Navy ammo that preceeded that date. The file size limitations of BOCN attachments wash out the details of the signage on the rounds so I will list them.

Back Row L-R 6" 40 CAL SHELL SEMI FIXED, 5" 40 CAL CARTG. F.N. SHELL, 5" 40 CAL CARTG. F.S. COM. SHELL, 5" 40 CAL CARTG. A.P. SHELL, 4" 50 CAL CARTG. F.N. SHELL, 4" 50 CAL CARTG. F.S.COM. SHELL, 4" 40 CAL CARTG. F.S.COM. SHELL

MIDDLE ROW L-R 3" 50 CAL CARTG. ILLUMINATING STAR SHELL, 3" 50 CAL CARTG. F.S. COM. SHELL, 3" 50 CAL CARTG SHRAPNEL, 3" 50 CAL CARTG F.N. SHELL, 3" DAVIS GUN CARTG F.N. SHELL, 3" 23 CAL CARTG. F.N. SHELL

FRONT ROW L-R 1 PDR CARTG. F.S. COM. SHELL, 3 PDR CARTG. F.S. COM. SHELL, 6 PDR CARTG. F.S. COM. SHELL, 3" F.G. CARTG. SHRAPNEL, 3" 23 CAL CARTG. SHRAPNEL, 3" 23 CAL CARTG. F.S. COM. SHELL

I have never seen any real or dummy F.N. projos (Flat nose). They were designed to be anti-submarine projectiles, with the flat nose so they wouldn't richochet off the water. This is the only photo I know of that shows them.

Attachments

• scan240Color007B.jpg
    scan240Color007B.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hello John,

You're right, that single photograph is the BEST REFERENCE relating to early U.S.N. brass cased ordnance I've ever come across too! I've had a framed copy hanging on my computer room wall for a few years now and it's funny how I never tire of looking at it. It's my Holy Grail of U.S. Navy shells! I lucked out about a year and a half ago and found a beautiful example of the 6"/40 brass casing in a antique shop here in Colorado. THANKS for showing it to the group!

BTY, I've never come across a Flat Nose shell or have seen one either.

Best regards,

Randall

Last edited: