What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm ?

120mm ? tank??

hi there i have i believe a tank round marked 120mm tk sx162 rep sx401 he sub /dated 10-12-76 does anyone know what tank it came from sorry i would post a picture but im waiting for a new camera thank you

Last edited:
120mm Tk

120mm Tk is definitely 120mm tank ammunition.

The rest of this is a guess. The model numbers SX162 and SX401, would indicate British manufacture to me (although other countries may have used SX). I have gone through the British publication that I have and all tank ammunition has a Empty Shell Drawing Number starting with SX. The 105mm tank ammunition had the SX number stamped in the projectile, so I am assuming the 120mm is the same. The publication I have is for ammunition used in the L30 Gun found on the Challenger 2 MBT. It is possible your item was used in the L11 Gun which was fitted to both the Chieftain and Challenger 1 MBTs.

I do not have any techical information for ammunition used in the L11 Gun. Sorry, I could not provide you with a positive answer.

120 mm L11 Prac SH

HI Spericalideal it sounds to me like you have one of these in the picture.
Ammocat is correct about the SX numbers but these only refer to component parts of the shell ie body, nose cap, rear tracer assembly etc etc.

If your projectile is the same as this one then it is for an L11 Gun-tanks not my area so have no idea what the L11 series was fitted to ?

Attachments

• 120 mm HE Sub L11.JPG
    120 mm HE Sub L11.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 45
Guess only !

Being Practice and unfired in good condition I would guess that you could value it at around the 35-00 mark.
Like all these things if the right person comes along who really wants it then it will be worth every penny.

There was a short period when a lot of these hit the market but now they have all been snapped up by collectors so effectively have become a slightly rarer item !

thanks again

i only wanted to get an idea of its value as felt a bit giulty, as i paid 10 from an elderly gent i told him if its worth alot more i would tell him
thanks

Fair price.

Whilst 10-00 is not a lot thses days you have not "diddled" him !

It is like all the things we collect they vary in price-the 35-00 I mention would be from a dealer and not a private sale.

A private sale will roughly halve the value I put on it-please bear in mind that I am no expert as all of my collection was "bought high" and "sold low"!