What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

122mm 3Sh1 flechette shell

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a Russian 122mm 3SH1 anti personel flechette shell. It is fired from the 122mm D-30 howitzer and the 122mm 2S1 Gvosdika mechanized howitzer. This type of shell is nicknamed “Beehive shell” as after release of the thousends of flechettes from the projectile body, it sounds like a hive of bees flying out.

This type of shell gained notoriety when Russian foeces used it against civilian targets in Bucha last year;

The projectile body is filled with flechettes, best to be described as nails with fins instead of a head. This particular projectile is filled with flechettes that are 39mm long and ø2,5mm dia. The “wingspan” of the fins is 5mm.

The body of the projectile exists of two parts; the upper and the lower part. The lower part contains the driving band and has an internal “seat” upon which the lower expulsion piston rests. The upper part is internally threaded in top to receive the fuze. The upper and lower part are connected by means of a fine thread.

The cargo load is made as one piece in the ammo plant. The expulsion flange and the flame pipe are placed in a template with the shape of the inner projectile body. The flechettes are dumped in randomly, after which the space between the flechettes is filled with molten stearine grease (candle fat). A linnen bag containing the black powder expulsion charge is placed in the lower part of the projectile body, after which the cargo package is placed in the projectile body. The expulsion piston rests on the seat. The top part of the body is screwed on top of the lower body part, completing the projectile.

Mechanical time fuze DTM-75:
The mechanical clockwork time fuze is a nearly exact copy of the ZtZ.S30. The main difference can be found in the safe and arming mechanism below the clockwork A slider (1) is kept in inward position by a pin on a set back weight (2). In inward position the slider blocks a channel that allows the flame of the firing cap (3, red) to reach the booster pellet that ignites the main ignition pellet (4, yellow), which ignites the black powder magazine (5).

The magazine (5) explodes, sending a flame down into the black powder expulsion charge in the base of the projectile body. This charge will push the expulsion piston upward, up till a moment where the fine thread –connecting the upper and lower body- is ripped off, releasing the cargo of flechettes. The centrifugal force will disperse the flechettes into a conical pattern to the ground, seen from the point of ignition.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - 122mm 3sh1 shell backside.jpg
    01 - 122mm 3sh1 shell backside.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 02 - 122mm 3sh1 shell cutaway.jpg
    02 - 122mm 3sh1 shell cutaway.jpg
    952 KB · Views: 92
  • 03 - DTM 75 fuze.jpg
    03 - DTM 75 fuze.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 04 - 122mm D-30 Howitzer.jpg
    04 - 122mm D-30 Howitzer.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 63
  • 05 - 2S1 Gvosdika.jpg
    05 - 2S1 Gvosdika.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Great cut, interessting to see, in how many (russian) fuzes the s/30 clockwork is used.
Is this kind of ammunition still in production or do they use old stuff?

European as well as russian fuzes still use this clockwork -often (slightly) adjusted-. Never change a winning design.
I do no know if this type of ammo is still being produced, I only know it was used last Year in Ukraine.

Oh, it's that crappy news article (link), the one which said they'd spoken to me, when they hadn't!

I think I had to get them to change the phrasing of their text, as all they had done was to look at something I'd written up as a Tweet-string on the then Twitter. In reality they hadn't spoken to me at all, not even by a Twitter/X direct message, or via an email!

I got so pee'ed off with such media outlets pretending to have spoken to me, that I deleted the 3Sh1 and many other relevant identification and analysis Tweet-strings.

People might find this Tweet-string of mine a bit of a blast... the punt is intended!

PS According to the Russian manual, the flechettes are held in a matrix of montan wax, also known as lignite wax, etc. (link), not 'stearine grease'. Unless 'stearine grease' is some other term for montan wax?

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the cutaways always show these with the flechettes so nice and neat - they have a very nice selection at the Artillery Museum at St Petersburg. The reality, however, is that in every one I've ever seen pulled apart the flechettes were simply dumped into the projectile with the wax cast over them. It took me a while to find the post, but here are some photos from a few years back. https://www.bocn.co.uk/threads/flechettes.57425/page-2

Attachments

• flechette 1.jpg
    flechette 1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 24
  • flechette 2.jpg
    flechette 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 25
  • flechette 3.jpg
    flechette 3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 26
  • flechette 4.jpg
    flechette 4.jpg