What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12pr 6cwt SL or QF

2pounder

Premium Member
I've recently got a 6pr shrapnel shell stamped 6pr II then 6cwt SL or QF. dated '96. iI is of the nose separation type with screws and anti rotation pins to keep it together. the head and fuze pocket have a distinct groove below them due to a raised ridge in the mating part. I have an illustration of the MK V version that does not have the grooves. The question is were the grooves filled with anything? maybe a felt washer or solder? any one have an illustration please?

Also different is the MKII has the screws are in the top row of holes and the anti rotation pins are in the lower row. By 1915 it got to MKIV with base eject type. Re the first post on this, should be a 12pr 6cwt shell not 6pr. stamped 12pr II

Last edited:
tidy up finished its two rows of pins no screws and they are held in by a coating of solder and paint applied.DSCF3592.jpgDSCF3593.jpg

Hi Clive, good resto. On some unfired shrapnel shells in my mates collection, they have a distinct run of solder sealing the top to the main body.. I imagine this is for waterproofing?
Cheers Tig.

yes the solder would waterproof the joint but think it is really to keep the two rows of securing and anti rotation pins in. as to 12pr QF practice 1943 coast defence or naval officers mess most likely.