What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12pr and 4.7in

kahu1

Premium Member
A bit of a change in menu for me, but feel its my duty to hoover up any less common carts. i come across,before they disappear to the scrapman !.

12pr and 4.7in were used into WW2 as coastal guns in NZ, including a few locations near Wellington. I won't be cleaning the 12pr as the stencilling looks quite good.
cheers Bob.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 45
Hi Bob,

The 4.7" is WW1 dated, not WW2. The 4.7" I know from WW2 is also a lot longer (120x775R154) but many other types exist.

4.7in case

Interesting case, although date 01 for 1901 which puts it pre WWI I'm pretty certain it has had the gun marks added later. This marking is not typical of 1901 although various case lengths existed around this time. Nice case made by Kings Norton of Birmingham. 2pr

Thanks for the info guys.
I know the 4.7" is an early date,used to have one that was later dated ,i think 1917.
Any available guns were used here(NZ) as coast or shore defence ,including some captured italian 65/17cal artillery pieces,i have a chromed case from one.
After the war something like 38,000 rounds for the 65/17 were dumped in the Cook Strait sea trench,off the Wellington coast.I guess they're still there!
Bob.