What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14.5 x 114mm ID

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,

Can anyone help me identify the type and country of origin of this 14.5mm round?

In case it helps, I bought it in Hungary in 2006.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Gary,

The projectile is for a Hungarian short range (aluminium core) TP cartridge. Cartridge designation is 78-Rd-1. The cartridge case was produced by Hungarian plant #25 in 1962.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Perfect!

Thanks for the quick identification!

Do you know where in Hungary, plant # 25 is located?

I might ask for your help in identifying some more 12.7mm and 14.5mm rounds that I bought in Hungary - I just have to find them!

Thanks again,

Gary

Gary,

The Hungarian plant #25 is according my notes: “Hajdusagi Iparmuvek” – "Hajdusak Industrial Works" in the city of Teglas

There's also more info on the 78-Rd-1 (TP, blue-white tip) and 78-Rd-2 (TP-T, red-white tip) in an old IAA thread here

Hi Geert,

Wow!

Thanks for the information on the plant and the link.

You ammunition people really go into the details!

The more I read, the more I'm tempted to start collecting seriously!

The problem is that I used to buy just about anything ordnance related, particularly for the 5 years I worked in Hungary.

Now I really want to concentrate on post-WW2 grenades, but I've got random boxes of inert ammunition, shell cases, mortar bombs, fuzes, etc. to clear.

I've listed a few inert rounds on Quickfire, but posting some of the big stuff will be a problem.

Can anyone recommend a good Militaria fair in the UK?

Thanks again,

Gary

Hi,

Just re-discovered this Hungarian poster for 12.7 and 14.5mm ammunition, but it doesn't show the TP rounds.

Nice that it shows the manufacturer code 25 on the illustration of box markings.

Cheers,

Gary

image.jpg