What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14 Drill & dummy rounds received. Please help where you can.

Andy Naude

Received this batch of items. I suspect some came out of DENEL as dummies. Please help where you can.

Thank you.

a.JPG

From left to right:

1. 20 mm 820 HEI / T inert projectile.

2. 20 mm x 83 HEI inert projectile H/S 20 mm a 96 DY

3. .50 Spotter (No head stamp) Drill feels very heavy for its size. PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ONE.

4. 12.7 mm Browning Dummy H/S A73 12.7 R1M1

5. .55 Boyes Drill. H/S U D I (South African). Arrived with a stripper clip marked in circle MUL I 1942. WHICH COUNTRY ?

6. 12.7 x 108 Soviet Wooden Drill. WOULD LIKE MORE INFO ON COUNTRY OF ORIGIN & DATE OF MANUAFATURE

7. 14.5 mm Soviet Wooden Drill. WOULD LIKE MORE INFO ON COUNTRY OF ORIGIN & DATE OF MANUAFACTURE

8. 14.5 mm Soviet Drill. H/S * 3 * 86

9. 14.5 mm Soviet Drill - East German

10. 20 mm x 102 No Head Stamp - Practice . MORE HELP NEEDED ON THIS ONE. MAY BE S A MANUFACTURED ?

11. 20 mm x 115 Plastic Drill H/S "MBA" 74 20 MM - M55

12. 20 mm 820 Drill No H/S Printing on Projectile : DRILL DRILL B 81 20 mm TYPE 820A R1M1 (South African) ("B" Plant)

13. 30 mm x 112 . TP - T H/S 30 mm A 95 CT Printing on projectile : 30mm TP-T M9133A3 HE SUB 038 D 95

14. 23 mm Soviet. Lathe turned. Reportedly made by Denel after capturing weapons and prior to the manufacture of the actual rounds.

Last edited:
Number 6 & 7 aren't wood,they are made from laminated phenolic cloth and were made in the DDR and were the fore runner of the black plastic 14.5mm you have

Tony

Last edited:
#3 looks like a U.S. spotter/tracer round for the 106?mm recoilless rifle. Did it have a red and yellow band on the nose? The rr had a spotter rifle connected to the side to shoot a spotter round first to see where you are going to hit before shooting a rr round. does this help.

Last edited:
#11 Looks like a Yukoslavian 20x110(hs.404) brass and plastic drill.
#3 ,could it be solid brass or bronze?

#3. Is a 50 Spotter. Made of a non magnetic metal. Possibly brass or bronze. The metal seems to have been blackened, with no other colors apparent.

What struck me was its weight. It weighs Approximately 155 grams as opposed to a 12.7 mm Browning Drill at Approximately 95 grams.

Maybe one of our American collectors could shed some light?