What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15 inch naval shell.

tigbrand

Premium Member
My 15 inch naval shell has been sat at work for months,but ive finally managed to cobble up a trolley to enable me to take it home,this still requires a large,ie 8 ft bar to move it! My partner has agreed to allow it into the hallway at home as long as its fully restored.Tig:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

My 15 inch naval shell has been sat at work for months,but ive finally managed to cobble up a trolley to enable me to take it home,this still requires a large,ie 8 ft bar to move it! My partner has agreed to allow it into the hallway at home as long as its fully restored.Tig:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

You lucky person Tig!! Your partner really is understanding!!!!!!!!!
Look forward to seeing the restored shell.
Dave.

big stuff

I don't have anything that big in my collection, was thinking of possibilities, 2 of them one on each side of driveway, 1 one on each of downposts of porch arbor, 1 on each side of trench entrance. There's another place I can imagine, but to piss off a gov't official here is as bad as it is anywhere!!!Dano

Nice one Tig.

Excellent Tig, look forward to seeing the project progress.

Hope you have a nice strongly re-inforced floor to sit her on (the projectile of course !)

Tig,

Nice bullet!

Be sure to block it well when you move it, so it doesn't roll. I live 300 miles west of a factory that relined the 16 inch battleship gun barrels during WWII and Vietnam. There was a firing range 70 miles north of the factory where they would fire proof projos through the barrels, and the fired projos would plow pathways up the mountainsides. People used to have access to the area, so one guy found one and dug a ramp down into the ground, so he could winch it into the back of his pickup truck to take it home. He didn't have the 3000 Lb. projo secured very well, and when he drove around a corner, the projo rolled to that side of the truck bed. The tire on that side blew, and the weight going down on that side caused the whole truck to then roll over.

Here is a picture of what a 15" shell can do.

http://www-tc.pbs.org/hood/news/images/bismarck/bismarck2_full.jpg

This is a 10m Rangefinder from Bismarck that has been hit through and through with a 15" shell.

The entry hole is on the other side. This is the exit side. Note a layer of the laminated armour plate has been blown off on the left side (the rusty brown face) The roof of the rangefinder is also gone

Here is a top view

http://www-tc.pbs.org/hood/news/images/bismarck/bismarck3_full.jpg

Not bad, that would spoil your whole day.
I read in one of the many books out there about tanks (can't remember which) what happened when a 15 inch shell landed next to a tiger tank, it flipped it on its lid...........and tiger tanks are quite heavy!!
Dave.