What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

155 MM FH70 HE/HC XL15E1

Chris 42 RQ

Here is a picture of a High Capacity High Explosive Field Howitzer (FH70) Experimental Projectile.
The number of these made is unknown to me but it still has a weight of approximately 96 pounds but is signifigantly longer with a different CRH (Calibre Radius Head).
Bearing the designation of XL15E1 and manufactured by Royal Laboratory Birtly.
Once agin if any of you have any information to add I would be grateful.
155_MM_FH70_HE_HC.JPG

not sure about yours Chris, but here's a 105mm HC (shown next to a 105mm CBS shell for scale). Each was a numbered shell, this one being number 16. I was given to understand that we were looking to see if the 155mm could be phased out and replaced by a high capacity 105mm. Dave
105hc.jpg

Very interesting round rickoshea and what a piece for a collection!:woohoo:
I had no idea that they had even considered the 105 MM and thought that all our efforts were put into the then "new" Field Howitzer 70 as experimental rounds abound !
It is also interesting to note the deep driving band to spread the stresses over the thinner body.