What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

155 mm

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
Hello Everybody,

I would like to know what this is, yes its a projectile in the Caliber 155, it has some purple paint left and it has an adopter ring and some kind of plug on the side of the projectile as you can see on the pictures, is this experimental the color would say so ? there are some numbers on the projectile, but no year and no further markings that could say what it is, any help is welkom regards Ben

IMG_7284.jpgIMG_7282.jpgIMG_7281.jpgIMG_7283.jpgIMG_7285.jpgIMG_7286.jpg

Pink and purple, normally with a band indicates incapacitating. Markings look like French.

This projectile comes from the UK, thats for sure it was given to me several years ago, by cleaning up my storage place i found it back, the color is typical British. Ben

In 1985 we did a special blast test at White Sands Missile Range called Minor Scale. Over a dozen countries participated. There were more than a hundred experiments running during the blast, examining the effects of a nuclear scale detonation on military hardware. One of the experiments run by the UK involved effects on ordnance. They brought in dozens of pallets of 155mm projectiles and bar mines. The projectiles used for the test appeared very similar to yours, and spaced among them were modified items with test equipment installed. These tests were not my responsibility, but I would guess that the hardware was for monitoring blast pressures experienced, etc. Afterwards we were given the mines and projos to destroy, but the hardware equipped pieces were removed and taken off site. Yours may have some connection to these.