What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15cm case

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi I just picked this German 15cm x726mm WW1 case up the other day and was wondering what type of projectile it would have fired the short or long shell or didn't it matter.
many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• German 15 cm.jpg
    German 15 cm.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 15cm 1917.jpg
    15cm 1917.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
150x725R for the 15 cm Kanone 16 (originally developed much earlier for the 15 cm K.i.S.L.)

Hi I just picked this German 15cm x726mm WW1 case up the other day and was wondering what type of projectile it would have fired the short or long shell or didn't it matter.
many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Andy

Many thanks Alpine, would the projectile be the short one or the long one ?

The main shells were the "15 cm Haubengranate 16" and the "15 cm Haubenschrapnell 16" both with double driving bands and windshield. Both shells weighed 51,5xx kg. You'll find them in the Notes on German Shells.

With 22800m range this gun played the same role as todays long range MLRS's to strike targets far behind the front lines.

Hi,
2 photos on the 15cm.

- 15 cm K.i.S.L (Kanone in Schirmlafette) tir - 2.2.18

15 cm K.i.S.L (Kanone in Schirmlafette) tir - 2.2.18.jpg

- 15cm Schnellade-Kanone L-40 in Räderlafette

15cm Schnellade-Kanone L-40 in Räderlafette.jpg

Thanks.

@JulienCD68: Pictures of the 15 cm K.i.S.L. are rare because only a few of these guns existed. When the 15 cm Haubengranate 16 and the 15 cm Haubenschrapnell 16 were introduced these could be used in the 15 cm K.i.S.L. too and for some months the firing table of the 15 cm K.16 for these two shells was used for the 15 cm K.i.S.L. too until they made a new firing table specially for the 15 cm K.i.S.L.

But the 15 cm Schnellade-Kanone L-40 in Räderlafette is wrong in this thread, it used 155 x 576R naval cases.

Last edited: