What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15mm

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I picked up this fired 15mm proj. today and first thought is Czech or German 15mm Zb 60, probably AP-T.

The proj. is completely unmarked, 72mm long and has a screw-in tracer capsule in the base. Although it looks like copper it is in fact slightly rusty steel.

The weapon had eight grooves right hand twist.

Can anyone confirm or otherwise identify?

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Zb 53 base.jpg
    Zb 53 base.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 15mm Zb53.jpg
    15mm Zb53.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I picked up this fired 15mm proj. today and first thought is Czech or German 15mm Zb 53, probably AP-T.

The proj. is completely unmarked, 72mm long and has a screw-in tracer capsule in the base. Although it looks like copper it is in fact slightly rusty steel.

The weapon had eight grooves right hand twist.

Can anyone confirm or otherwise identify?

Regards
TonyE

Hi Tony, I can't confirm but it could be a 15mm besa, see attached link (that you responded to), the 15mm has twin bands.
Dave.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/besa-15mm-13mm-t4231.html?t=4231&highlight=15mm+besa

Besa

Hi Dave

Thanks, the reason I picked it up was the vague hope that it would be a British monobloc AP for the BESA rather than Czech made for the Zb 60, similar to the British .50 Browning monobloc experimantals. (I have edited the previous post to correct the gun model. The Zb 53 was the 7.92mm tank gun).

Obviously the twin driving bands are the key identifying feature for this gun.

I will check my Kynoch drawings to see if I can find anything that might pertain.

Regards
TonyE

Found this. Note rifling specs and projectile types.

2. MG 151 specifications

• Type: single-barrel automatic cannon
  • Caliber: 15 mm x 96
  • Operation: Recoil-operated; short recoil
  • Length: 1916 mm
  • Barrel length: 1254 mm
  • Rifling: 8 grooves, right hand twist, 1 turn in 16"
  • Weight (complete): 38.1 kg (84 lb)
  • Rate of fire: 740 rpm
  • Effective range: 400 m
  • Muzzle velocity: 960 m/s (HE-T, HEI-T); 850 m/s (AP-T); 1030 m/s AP(WC)
  • Projectile types:
    • AP-T weighting 72 g
    • AP(WC) weighting 52 g
    • HE weighting 57 g. HE filler: 2.8 g

Thanks Slick, but the MG 151 used single driving band shells and the AP-T was pointed with a different base arrangement for the tracer.

Regards
TonyE

Hi,

it's not AP-T projectile. It's the Czech/German Target Practice - tracer projectile for ZB-60. In czech nomenclature called "nahradni". Originally was blue painted.

Regards
Pavel

Attachments

• besa TP.jpg
    besa TP.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 78
The Czechoslovak one I have seen had no screw in the base. So might this be a British one?

Czechoslovak
15x104_TP-T_Czech.jpg

EOD, what kind of projectile do you have. I looks like there might be a tracer in it. What is the brass coloured portion in the base?

Practice tracer

The drawing posted by Sorcerer shows a threaded tracer capsule like my proj. The one posted by EOD is quite different.

My one could be a British copy of the Czech practice tracer but I do not think so. Kynoch did trial most of the original Czech loads and as my example has absolutely no scratches or marks other than the rifling engraving I am sure it was fired for recovery.

I like to think that as I found it in the UK it came from a British military trial!

Regards
TonyE

Excellent condition

Being as it is in such excellent condition Tony E ,I fully agree that it has been fired specifically for recovery and very likely in the location you mentioned.
Such good condition items are very rare indeed !

15x104 Besa. the shorter shelcases (15x101) is German.

Last edited:
Besa

What is the cartridge case size. Is it brass 14/15mm x 98 FNB 03 + ?

I am not sure which round you are referring to, but it is not the 15 x 104mm BESA which is the cartridge my proj. is for.

The FN 15 x 115mm has a longer case length anyway and ther MG 151 is 15 x 95mm.

Regards
TonyE