What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 pounder APDS rescued from the clutches of an evil auction house!

jeff w

A few months ago I won an auction for 2 17 pounder APDS projectiles. I'm in the USA and the auction house was in Canada.
I immediately paid for them ($150 Canadian for the pair). A few days later the auction company owner calls and tells me his shipper refuses to ship them!
After much pleading, arguing and bargaining I could not convince him to ship them to me. It looked like it was all over - he was going to refund my money.
So I posted an SOS on BOCN looking for someone in Canada who could help me out.
Thankfully BOCN member SPACEINVADER replied to my plea for help! I offered him one if he could obtain them and ship one to me.
A short time later it arrived and is pictured below.
It pays to be a BOCN member. Thanks again Rhys!
Looks like a post war experimental version, but identical to the service round. Anyone know when this style APDS (longer sheath) was first accepted into service?

17 apds 006.jpg17 apds 007.jpg17 apds 008.jpg17 apds 009.jpg17 apds 011.jpg17 apds 018.jpg

Hello Jeff! And others ofcourse!

This was a really great deal, Jeff is an awesome guy to deal with also! (quite a nice collection too!) I will post some pictures of mine later, its a complete round but not experimental, identical as far as I can tell to Jeffs, but his has different markings. Unfortunately I cant get mine apart cause someone glued the tracer unit in, which keeps the core in the sheath. Very cool pieces! Now I need to find a case for it. Thanks again Jeff!
Rhys

Scheme was posted here --> http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/3451-17pr-construction-and-markings-1946/page2
It is APDS of Canadian design with pot/cup sabot and tapered projectile. To be more specific, the inventor, John Archibald Caddy, was Australia-born Royal Artillery officer, in 1941-1944 comissioned to Valcartier, Canada. He started his work AFAIR in 1943, to improve merits of APDS. Caddy`s design was found better than early petal sabots for 17 pdr and became introduced. 20 pdr was from the start designed to work with pot sabots (which resulted in some initial problems during following programme of 20 pd petal APDS in UK).

Last edited: