What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 pounder repaint project

jeff w

I have finally aquired a 17 pounder APCBC projectile for my collection (dated 1945) - but it's a bit rusty and needs a repaint. It has what looks like the remains of some white/red stripes but they are not how I thought they should be. I thought the piercing cap was white with a centered red band, along with the white tipped nose. This looks like it had banding on the ballistic cap and maybe a stripe on the projectile body (see pic)???
Is it possible that this is a Canadian projectile and they used a different marking system?
Markings on the band are "APCBC 17PR 9T? BS 2 StC 2\45 9200 >".

17pdrpaint002.jpg

Bands stamped ?

Hi Jeff W when you say "markings on the band" do you mean actually stamped into one or both of the driving bands ?

The normal position would be about 60 75 mm above the upper band stamped into the body before hardening.

Nice addition to any collection by the way.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
The "markings on the band" I referred to are engraved into the lower drive band.
I can't see anything stamped into the body - maybe once it is sandblasted something will appear...

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer to my question Jeff w and from that I think it quite possible that it is indeed Canadian in origen as it is most unusual for British Ordnance to stamped in that position.
As for the colours I would expect them to be the same (pretty much anyway) sadly I do not have a good enough photo of how one should look although someone here will have what you are looking for.