What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17pr

smle2009

Hi all,
yet another dumb question this time about my doorstops.
Two of them are 17pr AP? shot?,both with tracer cavities but have a great variance in length as can be seen in the photos,the two middle ones, left is a 25pr and right is a 6pr, so why the difference in length?

Please forgive me if it is because of an obvious reason but not my subject

Cheers
Tony

PC030010.jpgPC030011.jpg

Another question to anyone who can answer: What was the purpose of the double driving band on the 17Pr AP shot?

Sorry I can't answer your question Tony.

nice door stops mate, I think the short ones are for practice and the double driving band could be to stabilise it better.
Andy

Hi all,
yet another dumb question this time about my doorstops.
Two of them are 17pr AP? shot?,both with tracer cavities but have a great variance in length as can be seen in the photos,the two middle ones, left is a 25pr and right is a 6pr, so why the difference in length?

Please forgive me if it is because of an obvious reason but not my subject

Cheers
Tony

View attachment 60122View attachment 60123

The longer 17 pounder is the AP shot.
The shorter 17 pounder is an APCBC minus its caps.
Dave.

Thanks Andy & Dave,
Dave how do these caps fit on these projectiles? And if anyone has a photo of a complete one that would be great.

Cheers
Tony