What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 PDR HE question

AndyD

Do all 18 pdr HE projectiles have a recessed portion right at the top?
I ask as my example has one,when mated up with a 101 fuze the recessed part is still visible,however,when I put a No 80 fuze on (this No 80 has a gap underneath) which covers the recessed part and looks 'correct'.

Was the No 80 ever used with 18 pdr HE projectiles?

Cheers,
Andy

18 pdr.jpg
Here we are.
Markings are,
Q.F 18 PDR
III
F.S
EOC
NER (OR COULD BE F AND NOT R)
DN

Hi Andy,

All the 18pdr HE I have seen have that recess that you refer to. I think there were some experiments with using 18pdr rounds for AA use but could be wrong (My ref books are all still packed away). Also If I remember right, the correct fuze would be a 106 rather than a 101 though I'm sure someone else can let us know.

Ben.

No's 100, 101 & 106 fuzes used on WW1 era HEs, No's 117 & 119 fuzes on WW2 era 18 pdr HEs. Without checking reference material I couldn't tell you when the changes occurred. No. 80 fuzes (time and percussion) were only used on the 18 pdr shrapnel shells.

Thanks for the pics,can clearly see the difference.
Was this just a difference between manufacturers?

Also,what is the significance (if any) of the extra two rows of text, NER and DN?

According to the RL drawings, this groove is machined on the 10, 13 & 15 PR HE rounds (and some, if not all of the Shrapnel rounds). Drawing No. 22,777 for the 18 PR Q.F. H.E. Mk. III shell also shows the groove. Alas, no explanation as to it's function.

TimG

Last edited:
Thanks Tim.
Any ideas on the meaning of the two extra rows of text?

Also,maybe a sily question,but would the No 80 work with the HE shell if set as percussion rather than time?

Andy,

The No. 80 as is, lacks the means to detonate the HE.
Have you an image of the markings?

TimG

No's 100, 101 & 106 fuzes used on WW1 era HEs, No's 117 & 119 fuzes on WW2 era 18 pdr HEs. Without checking reference material I couldn't tell you when the changes occurred. No. 80 fuzes (time and percussion) were only used on the 18 pdr shrapnel shells.

Not sure about 117 & 119 with 18-pr. I think it was No 115, the streamlined version of No 106.

Hi to all
Some extracts from various handbooks on 18 pdr to see in the downloads section. I'm looking for versions after 1939
Jean Paul

In May 1941 the approved fuzes for 18 pr were as follows.

HE
106E, 115E, 117, 119, 210 & 222

Shrapnel
80 & 80B

Smoke (Bursting)
106, 106E, 115E, 117 & 119

TimG