What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pdr Maker's Mark KHA

BigGuy40

Gentlemen:

I am in the process of restoring an 18 pdr casing, projectile and fuse from 1917. After hours of research, I am still baffled by the makers mark on the brass. All other markings have been identified

The maker's mark is KHA.

The closest I can come is KH in a resource for .303 ammo head stamps. It stands for Khamaria Arsenal, India.

Any comments would be most appreciated.

Best of luck.

-Jim, Ohio.

Attachments

• 18 pr marking KHA.jpg
    18 pr marking KHA.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 77
Jim,

Is there a mark above the 'KHA', two concentric 'C's with an S therein?

Regards

TimG

Jim,

I’ve now seen about 8 cases made by this manufacturer, mostly 18 pr and a few 4.5”. On each case there is a different three letter string (one case with just 2 letters) under the trade mark , the signifcance of which I have been unable to ascertain. The manufacturer is Canadian, whilst I can’t see it on your case, on the others that I have seen there is a ‘pheon’ (broad arrow) within a C.
All these cases and I think majority, if not all Canadian cases of this period differed from British and American (contract) cases in that they had the full date of manufacture stamped on them, as opposed to a MMYY and a Lot number. I suspect that this letter string might be some form of Lot/Batch identifyer.
I think that manufacturer might be “Canadian Cartridge Company” of Hamilton, Canada. The trademark I have listed for them is a pair of concentric ‘C’s. If it is them, I don’t know the significance of the ‘S’ however, see below.

The company was founded in 1914 by Sir Frank Wilton BAILLIE. The company was closed in 1919. The hereinafter is a direct lift off the web

World War I gave new scope for his entrepreneurial energy. Late in 1914 he collaborated with the owners of the Chadwick Brass Company in Hamilton to set up the large Canadian Cartridge Company Limited, of which he became president and Frank Wood vice-president. Baillie began with about 200 workers but he would eventually employ 900 to manufacture brass cartridge cases for the British government. In August 1915 he won a lucrative contract to produce two million 18-pounder cases by promising to return any profits on the second million. By reorganizing production to cut costs drastically, he was able to turn over $758,248 in a well-publicized gesture in July 1916. Other manufacturers were “very disturbed” by this move, according to Joseph Wesley Flavelle, chairman of the Imperial Munitions Board, the agency in Canada that contracted with the British government, and none took up his example. That year Baillie also made sure that the growing discontent among Hamilton’s munitions workers did not disrupt production at either Canadian Cartridge or Burlington Steel by conceding the nine-hour day just before the outbreak of a bitter strike in most other metalworking plants in Hamilton.”

Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online

It might just be, that to signify the production of the ‘Second’ million they marked the cases by changing their trademark by the addition of a 'S'. Then, having completed the contract they retained the modified mark as a reminder of their altruism.

Regards

TimG

Last edited:
Tim:
Thanks so much for the extensive tutorial!
I am doing some research on the Canadian Cartridge Company to see if I can match any of their stampings to my cartridge.
I cannot identify a broad arrow in any form though there are some very faint markings mingled among the date stamp.
I appreciate your informed thoughts on this elusive matter.
-Jim, Ohio

CC

I think that is a very logical argument Tim. I have also seen similar cases.

If you look at the primer, there is a Canadian property mark (Broad arrow within C) stamped by the manufacturer's initials.

The other thing that is odd is that I cannot see a "CF" stamp anywhere on the case.

Regards
TonyE

Tony,

I noticed that as well and asked Jim to email me an high res' image. However, on examination of the high res' image there is a 'C.F.' by the date. I've found details of a book that covers Canadian shell and fuze manufacture and will see if I can borrow a copy - hopefully it will shed some more light on the matter.

Regards

Tim

Great Info!!

You folks are the mother lode of info about Great War British ordnance markings!

Thanks for your help in exorcising this identification demon.

-Jim

"S" Inside "CC"

Gentlemen:

A strand regarding a 1916 18 pdr cartridge on "The Great War Forum" contains the following:
"S" within a double "CC" means the casing was tested for hardness with a scleroscop."

I don't know if the author is right but thought I'd put it out there.