What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pdr transport / storage devices

Infanteer

Can someone tell me what the correct name is for these items that attach to the base of 18 pdr casings? Also, does anyone have a photo of a complete example with the webbing (or leather?) that is missing from my examples? Thanks.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
The safety clip is of brass, cross-shaped so as to form four arm, the arms of which are turned to form clips to engage with the rim of the cartridge case. The clips are painted for identification purposes as shown in chapter VI. One arm is slightly longer than the others, the clip portion being differently shaped so as to spring over the rim of the cartridge. The clip has a canvas loop for withdrawing the cartridge from the ammunition box of the trailer.
The clip protects the cap of the percussion primer and prevents the primer from unscrewing in transit and store; it must be removed before loading.
BOCN 18PR safety clip1.jpg BOCN 18PR safety clip2.jpg

Source: Handbook O.Q.F. 18-PR Marks IV, IVA and IVB. 1940

Perfect! I knew that someone here would be "in the know". Thank you very much Quartermass. The web handle will be very easy to replicate once I find a spare piece of web.

Cheers, Steve

To identify the various types of cartridges employed with the equipment when carried in the trailer ammuntion boxes, the safety clips are painted as follows :-
Full charge rounds
H.E. Clip uncoloured.
Shrapnel. Clip painted red.
Smoke. Clip painted green.
A.P. Clip painted blue.​

Reduced charges
H.E. Long arm painted white.​

Streamline shell
H.E. Long arm painted yellow.
Smoke. Green with long arm painted yellow.
Blank. Long arm painted black​

Source: Handbook O.Q.F. 18-PR Marks IV, IVA and IVB. 1940

Clip, Cartridge, Q.F. 18-PR., Mark I​

The clip is made of brass, cross shaped so as to form four arms, the ends of which are turned in to form clips to engage with the rim of the cartridge case. One arm is painted red, and is slightly longer than the others, the clip portion being differently shaped, so as to spring over the rim of the cartridge. The other three arms are sand blasted and black lacquered. It has a canvas loop for withdrawing the cartridge from the baskets or tubes in the ammunition boxes of the limbers and wagons.​

Source: Handbook of the 18-PR. Q.F. Gun. 1915.

These primer protector clips were made for a wide range of cases including the early 3pr, 6pr and right up to the modern day (105mmFd) - would make an interesting collection in their own right. I've even found a couple of relic condition 3pr Vickers clips. Trevor

25Pr and 105mm Primer protectors/carrying straps

Nowhere near as rare as some mentioned in the previous threads, but here are two different ones with the first one (made or pressed Brass) for the 25 pounder Cartridge case and the second one (fabricated steel) for the 105mm GFD cartridge.

Please feel free to correct the 25 pounder ID if I am wrong !

Attachments

• Cart Protr A.JPG
    Cart Protr A.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Cart Prot B.JPG
    Cart Prot B.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 40
clips

Interstingly the 6pr naval MkIII clip has only three legs each with the same form of clip at the end and no slots for a web strap. Not sure if they ever had a strap. 2pr

Nowhere near as rare as some mentioned in the previous threads, but here are two different ones with the first one (made or pressed Brass) for the 25 pounder Cartridge case and the second one (fabricated steel) for the 105mm GFD cartridge.

hi chris i dont ever recall seeing these on the 25pdr cartridges,,but it was the 1980s when i was on them and they may have been phased out by then

Cruciforms?

Fascinating info in this thread regarding colors, etc.

I've seen these protectors referred to as "cruciforms" by collectors.

They seem to be highly collectible. I have three for 18 pdrs.

They've sold on e-bay for as much as $25 usd each here in the states.

-Jim, Ohio

Is there an SV number and date stamped into it?

I don't know whether it's been mentioned in previous forums/threads, but a number of large calibre British Naval cases have 3 holes (at120deg) in the base of the case, around the screw-in primer, which is for a different design of primer protector. This is usually a round disc with 3 'studs' which push into these holes; and a domed centre with slots for the strap.
If anyone wants a picture, let me know and I'll dig one out, photograph it and post it. Regards, Trevor

I always thought those holes were for some sort of tool to aid removal of the primer. I didn't think of a primer protector.

navy primers

From looking at naval cases I think only percussion primed cases have these 3 holes, electric primers do not need protecting. 2pr

From looking at naval cases I think only percussion primed cases have these 3 holes, electric primers do not need protecting. 2pr

You are correct! The Naval "Handbook on Ammunition 1945 B.R. 932" states that this safety clip, the No. 25, (as well as the three-armed type) are fitted to cartridges with percussion primers or combined electric and percussion primers, but not to cartridges with electric primers.