What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pr Projectile

37patt

Was given an 18 pr projectile the other day and am still trying to decipher the markings.

QF 18 Pr - type of projectile
IX - mark number
FS - forged steel
CFMCO - unknown (it's all capital letters)
25.5.17 - date manufactured
CXO - lot code?
nose to nose broad arrows - indicating sold out of service

I'm pretty sure I have most of the information correct, but I haven't been able to ID the CFMCO and confirmation of the CXO would be great.
Thanks all.

CFM.CO - Canadian Fairbanks Morse. Co.
CXO is more than likely the steel supplier.

TimG

Thank you very much TimG.
Now I have two more codes to add to my ever increasing list of manufacturers etc.
Eric

Pretty sure a two or three letter stamp below the date on a Canadian shell is the lot identifier. See it on all Canadian made shells (and most cart cases). In my experience the steel supplier (where marked) is shown at the very top above QF 18 PR. It’s usually the company monogram and a lot or batch number.

Graeme,

You're more than likely correct. What complicates matters is that the Imperial Munitions Board Inspection book lists in excess of 50 American and Canadian steel suppliers that used 1, 2 or 3 letter identification codes. The one letter codes were early Canadian and were then changed to two or more letters with absolutely no apparent link with their previous code. The Canadians went their own way with respect to lotting on cartridge cases, so there is every possibility they did the same on projectiles.

TimG

Thanks Tim

I defer to your greater knowledge. I am only going on what I have seen before in relation to positioning of information in the nomenclature: steel supplier at the top above “QF 18 PR”, and Lot number/identifier either just before or just after the manufacture date down the bottom. All Canadian WW1 era shells I have, and have seen, are stamped with either a 2 or 3 letter code below the date. It could well be associated with the steel supplier, but there is no other lot/batch identifier stamped in relation to the shell manufacture.

Regards, Graeme

From BOCN threads and various other sources I have seen around a dozen of the alphabetic codes stamped on 18pr shell bodies, positioned below the maker monogram and date stamp. Admittedly only a small sample, but I have not managed to match a single one with the steel supplier codes given in the IMB lists here:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/93111-Imperial-Munitions-Board-Inspectors-Handbook

Given the use of alphabetic Lot codes by several of the Canadian 18pr and 4.5-in. cartridge case producers, such as Canadian Cartridge Co., similar usage on Canadian-made projectile bodies is probably what we are seeing.

Tom.

Haven't been here for a couple of days and the extra information is enlightening. Thank you all for continuing the conversation - there is a lot of knowledge out there.

Eric

Here’s an example of one of my Canadian 18 Pr shrapnel shells.
Presumably U693 is the steel supplier code and batch number, whilst OE is the shell manufacturer’s lot code.

Attachments

• 1ED227C1-F220-494A-B8AD-78D515467F56.jpeg
    1ED227C1-F220-494A-B8AD-78D515467F56.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 28
Here’s another Canadian shell from my collection that I believe has the steel supplier/batch no. up top and the lot code at the bottom.

Graeme

Attachments

• BA750F48-F8BE-47CA-83CE-CD4D78F8985A.jpeg
    BA750F48-F8BE-47CA-83CE-CD4D78F8985A.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 19
From the Imperial Munitions Board Handbook linked in post 7 above, SD is the new code for the Dominion Iron and Steel Co., Nova Scotia. The code would appear to have changed from U to SD some time around mid-1918.