What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pr. todays find ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
Curious about who made the projectile & case.;

Fuze R^L 7/18 , used. so was added to the projectile later.

Unfired Shrapnel with balls;

QF 18 Pr
V
FS
S C C B or S C O B
10 11 15
M O

on the base is DG and a number

case is;

MD
Co
GWF

Primer is;

BB/C 2/42 & Sc/C 6/42

If any one is going to the Etobicoke Military show on the 17th I would like to upgrade the #80 fuze if any are around unfired.

Attachments

• IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 49
The case was made by the Metal Drawing Company, St. Catherine's, Ontario in 1917.

27 1 17 Is the loading date (27th January 1917).

Sorry I can't help you with any of the other markings.

Gordon,

Primer is;

BB/C 2/42 = Beaty Bros Ltd
Sc/C 6/42 = filled General Engineering Co, Scarboro

Gspragge,

On the projectile-
FS - Forged steel
SCCB - Steel Company of Canada (Ontario), Canada. (They also used the monogram of SCCM)

On the primer-
BB/C - Beatty Bros - the manufacturer.
Sc/C - Scarboro - filling station

On the case-
As Falcon states.
GWF - this appears to be coding, which, with the exception of one case (I think another MD Co.), I've only ever seen on Canadian Cartridge Company Cases. I would guess some form of lot identification.

Regards

TimG.

Thanks

Looks like this one never left and ended up in training in ww2, at least the case did. The projectile may have WD release >< marks though not clear. The fuze would be a range pickup and the case and projectile could be a marriage at anytime later than 42 for all we know. The story was that it was brought back from overseas (which I found hard to believe, bad enough carrying one around here now let alone in one's kit bag!) , well maybe the fuze but I even doubt that~

Dumped the loose balls out and the powder cup was still inside too under the push plate which just flipped around, that doesn't come out as the nose end of the projectile must be forged after it is put inside-

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi Gordon,

Nice find indeed! Especially with the internals, also I've not come across a no80 with that notch in the top cap before, wish I could find some of the things you do :)

Ben

Canada is full of 18 Pr's most made into lamps of mediocre to worse designs and condition. I don't know why so many are here, this one is dated 1915 and I thought there was a shortage that year ?
Compared to what is in the UK the U.S. and Europe, very little is around and what is is mostly the same thing - 18 Prs~

Hi Gordon,

Nice find indeed! Especially with the internals, also I've not come across a no80 with that notch in the top cap before, wish I could find some of the things you do :)

Ben

Ben,

The fuze is not a number 80. It is most likely a no 83, or possibly an 88 or 94 which were modified versions of the 83.

D

Fuze

Correct, the number is worn off or made very obscure by it's soft landing and I didn't know what it was other than looking like a #80 with a slot. Have a replacement #80 for it anyways lined up. The #83 being used and all, which is too bad since it is likely scarcer than a N0 80. The fired fuze is certainly a non original add on since the projectile wasn't fired.

No 88 fuze

It looks like a No 88 , according to the information on the site the lower timing ring is lacquered red, but this is gone. It is complete except for a steel ball I think lost when taken apart previously.

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 9
Yup it's an 88, a modified 83 that had a longer (40 second?) burn time for long range shrapnel fire. That's what happens when i'm looking on the site via my phone! the photo was small and the lighting made it look like an alloy top! :) My bad.