What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1887 case

RichardB

Premium Member
Hi
i picked up this empty case a little while back purely due to its age.... No clue what it is, does anyone know
its 47x183 tall

image.jpg

Rich

I do see the Hotchkiss logo, but I am not aware of a 47 mm case with this length. Do you think it is cut down?

OK, I have to ask - what are the 4 x circles for? Was it residue from trench art legs etc?

Thanks

Hoeksel- it could easily be cut down, there are no crimp marks I can see
Dronic - you could be right, However my guess would be that the four marks are simple the way it's made

image.jpg

Rich

Based on the image I would say cut down. Too bad, this is a rare case and hard to find! The 4 circles are most likely original, you see those also on the oldest 37 mm cases. I believe they are there since it is a case out of 2 parts, for construction purposes.

The 4 "Holes" are actually rivets, that are part of the construction process as Hoeksel said. If you look inside the case you should see the tails of the rivets.
Cheers
Gary

The 4 "Holes" are actually rivets, that are part of the construction process as Hoeksel said. If you look inside the case you should see the tails of the rivets.
Cheers
Gary

Hoeksel /Gary,
Fascinating - I haven't come across this type of construction before.

Rich,
Would you be able to get an inside shot at some stage and post it?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

This is amazing forum. An old fart like me learns new things all the time ;)

I have in my collection a 37x95R coiled case. Markings along case side are LOT 91, Hothkiss logo, 1884 - 3. This case has once been a part of a kind of table decoration and has small solder tin spots on side as well as on base. I thought the 3 round markings are from decoration use, but actually they are rivets.

it took some time to develop drawing brass to the size of cases needed for artillery. First came the coiled cases with the iron basses riveted on. Then cases made from brass tube, a brass cup and an iron base riveted together, then finally a single, drawn brass case. You can see the sequence in the cases for the US 1.65" Hotchkiss mountain gun over 20 years.

The length you give is too long for a Hotchkiss 47x140 Revolving Cannon case.
So what this is for is a bit of a mystery ? What is the measurement across the base.
Bear in mind while Hotchkiss marketed their own products, they would like every one
would make anything to order.

Last edited: