What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1915 Discus grenade-info wanted.

Cirus

Hi all,

I'm very curios as to how one of these things worked, so I would be grateful for any information, diagrams or sites that would help me understand their operation.

Regs
Cirus

Discus

Hi Cirus, Hope these diagrams and text help..Dano

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 40
heres a sectioned one showing the internals in the safe and armed positions (top safety pellet exposes the centre star) . when it lands on its edge one of the 4 brass cylinders which contains a primer will hit the centre star creating a flash which in turn ignites the detonator in the bottom tube.
paul.

Attachments

• SectionedDiscus1.jpg
    SectionedDiscus1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 25
  • SectionedDiscus2.jpg
    SectionedDiscus2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
Re 1915 Discuss grenade

Hi both,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but many thanks for the info you posted. I now can see clearly how one works. But a thought has struck me, without any fragmentation potential was it really effective? In Dano1917's reply, the text on the diagram refers to "(Moral effect type)" should that read as Morale? Therefore, being intended firstly as a weapon to undermine morale, rather than cause injury?

Regs
Cirus

offensive vs. defensive

Moral type grenade is another name for offensive or blast grenade. The affected area of the grenade was small so as not to injure the thrower on offensive actions. A defensive grenade on the other hand had a greater affected area ( such as the smaller 1913 discus with iron shells) because it was thrown from a defensive position where the thrower had cover to throw from then hide from projectiles...Dano