What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1936 SUB-CAL PROJECTOR CASE - Requesting ID Help

apfsds

Premium Member
[FONT=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, .SFNSText-Regular, sans-serif]Even though this is not my primary collecting interest of large bore, Inert, APFSDS related [/FONT]specimens, I had to buy this. I really have no idea what it was used for and am hoping someone here can ID it's use.

Jason

IMG_5677.jpgIMG_5678.jpgIMG_5680.jpg

Hi Jason,

A very interesting find!

Looks to be a "re-purpose" British 2pdr case, used as a sub-calibre in the testing /development of the Anti-Submarine (A/S) Mk 10 naval spigot mortar.

Now according to some googling, the "A/S Mk 10" was referred to as the Limbo, which was the last development in a series of British naval spigot mortars, which was introduced in the 1950s. The original WW2 anti-submarine weapon was the Hedgehog (also known as an "Anti-Submarine Projector"), was replaced by the Squid, which in turn was replaced by the Limbo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MilitaryGf...yal_navy_anti_submarine_mortar_mark_10_limbo/

But what is interesting re your case is that it is a British Naval 2pr (1936) and the case stencilling refers to a US Company based in Syracuse NY State.

Perhaps "joint" development between the US /British as the US equivalent of the Hedgehog was the Mousetrap.

A great historic find Buddy!!!
Cheers
Drew

Thank you both so much. Incredible information.

That link was awesome, Drew showing a video of the system in use.

Question, the example I have, has what looks to be a screw in place where I would think a primer would go? Is mine original with that? It looks factory installed, but how would the charge be initiated without a typical primer?

Jason

Jason,

There were two parts to the propelling charge. The British version used 2 2Pr cases, the US made cases specifically for the purpose and are generally headstamped 1.75" they look very much like enormous rimfire blanks. The second part is not coned and fits over the coned part of the other case. The assembly is within the tail tube of the "Hedgehog" The non coned case is fitted with an electric primer and the top part of the spigot tube has electrical contacts that match those of the primer.

TimG

So my case is the bottom case and the entire assembly is initiated by an electrical contacts in the top case? So the screw type insert in my case is correct?

Jason
PS: Super grateful for your help on this :)

The attached shows the arrangement of the two cases in the tail. (For some reason the 'Cartridge Cap' is shown with parallel sides as opposed to being coned).

TimG
IMG_0309.jpg

Last edited:
You're the best!

Thank you so much, Tim. This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Extremely Grateful!

Jason