What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1938 40mm

tankbarrell

Premium Member
I've just acquired what I expected to be a 2 pr No1 cartridge with a poor condition HE projectile. No primer or fuze but still crimped in place. All empty. I really only wanted the shell to go in a 2 pr No 2 case but it's a bit rougher than I was hoping for. Both case and shell are dated 1938 but the headstamp is 40mm VA 1938.

Were some 2 pr marked 40mm or is it a Vickers S gun round? Was there an HE for the S gun as early as 1938?

Or is it just a Vickers export 2 pr pom pom?

Last edited:
Yes it is export. Note lack of British military stamps. Have you some pics of the projectile? Even relics are interesting especially if you can read the makings. Cheers Tig

Just picked up one myself in Australia. Also made by Vickers Armstrong but a little earlier date 1933. For which country were they made for export to? Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• E8C7A7DE-4BCE-4F74-851B-4A86E7B0A8D4.jpeg
    E8C7A7DE-4BCE-4F74-851B-4A86E7B0A8D4.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 1394679A-6B64-4EEC-9D1F-C342977C3C62.jpeg
    1394679A-6B64-4EEC-9D1F-C342977C3C62.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 38
Was there an HE for the S gun as early as 1938?

The S Gun was originally intended for air-to-air combat (the first installation was in a turret on top of a much-modified Wellington bomber). This idea was soon dropped (the Wimpy's fabric covering being stripped away by the muzzle blast!), and then the idea of using it for anti-tank use came along, and an AP loading was devised accordingly.

Thanks Tony, very interesting. On another note, have your ammunition data tables migrated? I get a 404 message when I try to load the page.

Thanks Tony, very interesting. On another note, have your ammunition data tables migrated? I get a 404 message when I try to load the page.

Sorry about that, I have been experiencing protracted tech problems with my website (something to do with the very high level of incompetence demonstrated by the site owner). I hope I'll get it soon, but don't hold your breath...

Adrian and Graeme, this is one the projectiles that would go with your case, there were different loadings available. Guns and ammunition were sold to various countries as 40mm. Note the brass and Ally fuze and gain to detonate the HE filling. I think the British navy were using the 2pdr Mk IV shell at this date with 121 fuze. Picture of round in Busters collection many years ago. cheers Tig

Attachments

• SAM_0016.jpg
    SAM_0016.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 46
  • SAM_0004.jpg
    SAM_0004.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 42
I think this one is Polish, I have seen quite a few and most come from water as they were used on navy ships.