What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1941 18Pr case

Gspragge

Premium Member
I managed a trade for this, It appears to have been used twice as a guess.
The first markings are very faint maybe due to reworking the case ?
The secound sharper ones for re-isue reload ?
( I now think the projectile was white for drill discoloured by rust bleed.)

Attachments

• SDC10810.jpg
    SDC10810.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 40
  • SDC10806.jpg
    SDC10806.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 50
The drive band on a Drill projectile would have the diameter reduced to the body diameter so it could be removed from the barrel without damage.
I have a 25Pr Mk111 Drill made this way. Yours is a very nice unfired projectile I think could be a Practice shell if white or for fuzing training? Just my guesses.
Some 12.5 Lb practice bombs were white from 1940's but this may not apply to artillery. Practice is usually black?

"You just need to find a suitably period dated 117 fuze now."

I also need the correct primer, 41 or 42 DA I expect. I can trade an RL 1/28 , No 2 Vll primer from a 3Pr case.

I should have said Instructional instead - as you say not for practice loading. It had an over paint of somethng blackish, but
who can say what or when.

Last edited:
I'll have to find a fuze by chance, all I'm accomplishing is making a list of Canadian outfits that sell ordanace and everything else at attrocious prices and screw over the buyer;
Collectors Gild (not much ordnance but assinie prices generally), Collectors Source (nothing short of breathtaking prices on most things),The Canadian Soldier (though they have very little), This last one is a general purpose antique store with a lot of military items. The only way to buy here is if they don't know what something is - affordable is hillarious, anything inquired about is sky high and they claim to be fund rasing for a local museum. If they were serious they would lower prices and actually move stuff. It's a pretty rough go for the average collector who isn't stinking rich these days.
[h=3]Everything Old Antiques & Vintage[/h]https://everythingold.ca

Located in Brentwood Bay, British Columbia, Everything Old offers affordable,