What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1944 M62 3in projectile

I was just given this projectile today from a friend. He found it in the garage of a house he just bought. It does not have the fuze. The base reads 1944 3inch m-62 lot c37 ODC and some other number i cant make out. I know it was used in either the Sherman or m10 tank destroyer I have a couple of questions. with the fuze gone is this inert or might it have HE in the second penetrator? Should I repaint it or leave it in natural as found condition? What is it's value?

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments

• m62-1.jpg
    m62-1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 115
  • m62-2.jpg
    m62-2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 92
Awesome shell. Id leave it as is. A coat of gun oil and lite cleaning.

Can we see a photo of the bottom? Or a description? Flat or hollow cavity? A plug?

Last edited:
Your very nice M62 projectile is inert. It has only one explosive cavity and the cavity on yours is empty. These projectiles were issued in two versions, painted black with white lettering and no explosive filler as an armor piercing version, and painted OD with yellow lettering as the armor piercing high explosive version. These rounds were put to good use during the Battle of the Bulge.

Ok, I want to display this. I have a 3in MK7 naval shell I could put it in. However, I want to display it as original. Anyone have an extra brass shell case for the m62 76 mm for sale?