What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1961 Picatinny Arsenal Book copies

Gspragge

Premium Member
I have a photo copy of the books shown, though there aren't many pages
as they show the munitions in service in 1961. I would like to put this
information on the site but the pages are too large for my scanner.
So is this information A already here ? B useful enough ? C perhaps easily
available elsewhere.
Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 2.JPG
    IMG_0001 2.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0002 2.JPG
    IMG_0002 2.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 46
Epson makes some fairly inexpensive large bed scanners (mine will take 11"X17").
Maybe not worth it for this one project, but when the old one goes south. . .

I have a photo copy of the books shown, though there aren't many pages
as they show the munitions in service in 1961. I would like to put this
information on the site but the pages are too large for my scanner.
So is this information A already here ? B useful enough ? C perhaps easily
available elsewhere.
Any suggestions welcome.

Dear Gordon,

There is a piece of software that 'stitches' together two or more scans to make a large image.

Maybe one of your local businesses or University has an A3 (or North American equivalent) multi-function printer which allows scan to email.

It is a shame I didn't know about this a couple of weeks ago. My brother is over from Toronto and he could have put it in his suitcase for me to copy and taken it back next week.

Best wishes

Hi Gordon,
For work like this I bought (on Tim's good advice) a photographic document repro-stand (second hand for little money). I like to work with this more than with my scanner. I have no experience with scanners, but I'm unhappy with the results of mine.
As to your question: For shure the info in those 3 publications will also be available in other publications somewhere. But, to get the info concentrated like this I would appreciate very much. Also, as a collector of munitions related literature, I would be very happy to get a digital copy of this set. By the way, is the info just chart listings or are there any technical descriptions / drawings included ? If I would live in your country, I would have gladly done the copyjob for you.
regards,
Bellifortis.

Last edited:
Since this is public document (no copy write) and if it is not a huge book, take it to a copy center and have a digital high resolution copy stored as a PDF on a thumb drive. Very easy to do, very high quality images and not that expensive. Once loaded onto your computer the PDF file can then be uploaded to BOCN.

Brian

I'll get it scanned locally next time I'm where the copy place is. No drawings. It's too modern for me but
sounds like it's useful for a few on the site. Then I'll get it into the library here.

Question; Has anyone here made use of the 1915 Priced Vocabulary of Stores, it list's every ordnance bit and piece there is
for that time (British Army) on issue or available and other items besides for small arms.