What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19th century single timering (15) fuze

Bellifortis

This old timefuze I have not been able to identify properly. It's similar to a dutch "Tijdbuis No 2 (N.I.L.)(Nederlands Indisch Leger) according to its inner setup, but the outside shape is different. Any ideas ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.Single Timering 15 Fuze 001.jpgSingle Timering 15 Fuze 004.jpgSingle Timering 15 Fuze 006.jpgSingle Timering 15 Fuze 010.jpg

it's a Krupp time fuze around the 1890's. I think it was sold to many countries at this time. Krupp simply called it "Zeitzünder S/15". Spain for example accepted it in 1894.

Last edited:
Hallo Alpini,
thank you for your so well informed answer. You are really very well versed in 19th century fuzes. Next time I'll ask you straight away.
Greetings,
Bellifortis.

But, the simple Krupp 15sec timefuze, as shown above, is not included in that publication.

I think it is. I have the same fuze like you and found no difference to the one shown in this document about spanish field artillery.

And I must correct my answer above, it's of course a double action fuze and not a time fuze so the Krupp designation would be "Doppelzünder S/15".

Btw. Norway is a country I am also sure that they used this fuze.

Last edited:
You are right Alpini. Upon closer inspection of the item and with the help of the nice drawings posted by bdgreen I realized that the body is not 1 piece but that the part "P"="Fulminate Holder" is screwed into the body. Again I learned something. Do you know if "P" has right-or left-turning threading ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Yes I know very well because I made a reproduction of part "P" for an other fuze not long ago. Part "P" was used for different fuzes (a whole series of fuzes).

"P" has a normal right hand thread BSW with 16 t.p.i and diameter of 20 mm. So it unscrews left hand which is normally easy because the threaded length is very short :)

Last edited: