What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1Pr projectiles

kahu1

Premium Member
A couple of common 1 pr projectiles i've just cleaned up,not my usual line so there might be a few basic questions!.
I had thought they where both the same but closer inspection reveals some interesting differences.
The first projectile has a rougher machined finish, the driving band has what looks like evidence of lathe chatter and the upper band barely fits its groove.Also the fuze had been stamped in.
The most interesting difference is the bases, the first has been cut off and the second machined off.
Does the stamping 'S' mean steel? (and the lack off mean iron?) 'VSM' is Vickers? and the vague 'V'?
1pr.jpg1prbase.JPG1prside.JPG1prnose.JPG

cheers,
Bob

They are typical and in nice condition and the quality does vary a bit on these. S = steel, without iron as you suspected, though not rare there are less steel than iron examples. The V seems to be an inspection mark of some kind, inhouse I expect. VSM = Vikers Sons & Maxim.

Last edited: