What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.75 inch WTU-14/B

Temple

Hello.

I am looking for some history/technical info for a 2.75 inch rocket warhead. The nomenclature is WTU-14/B. It was possibly practice but may have had a live filler. It was peculiar, instead of a conventional fuze it had a 40mm projectile fitted into the fuze well.

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

WTU-1/B are an inert steel practice warhead, usually of 1 or 2 piece construction. They do not have a fuze well as are formed as a single unit. You might have a different style of warhead. Not sure there is a -14/b model?.

Last edited:
As far as I know they were training only, no spotter or other energetics in the warhead. I don't remember the breakdown on the codes, but suspect that WTU could be "warhead, training unit". I'm at work and only have some group shots, but it looks like mine has nomenclature on it, in another half hour or so my wife may be out of bed and I can ask for a better photo and confirmation.

Rocket 4a.jpg

Attachments

• Rocket 4.jpg
    Rocket 4.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 27
Looks similar, but doesn't look right. At the least it is a poor repaint. All of the ones that I have seen were made with AP projectile bodies (despite the document), and appeared to be seated more deeply. So either the paint is throwing the appearance off or someone is faking it. Just my thoughts.

I have 40mm AP and HE projectiles that are threaded on the base to be used as dummy fuzes. I've heard that it was the Marine Corps that used them.